1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Some questions about aviation

1. Nov 17, 2008 #1
    Hi guys,

I`m a student, and I need to do scientific research in order to answer some questions which have to do with science and math. I then have to write workpiece about it. Since I`m an aviation enthusiast, I've chosen to place my research in the background of aviation. I`ve made a few questions which I have to answer, in order to let the teacher(or other reader) understand the principles of flight. The first question I have to answer is: How does an aircraft stay in the air?. The second is: Which forces are playing a role in the flying proces? The third: Which role plays the wing?

When I answered these questions, I hope that I've made clear what flying exactly is. I will then zoom in on an event which allows me to explain it with the principles of flight. I choose the gimli glider flight, and the question is: What happened here?(to introduce this accident to the readers) and the next question is: How did the pilot brought this bird down safe?(to explain the flying techniques used here with the theory and principles of flight what I discussed in the first part.)

The point now is, that I'm required to do some experiments, which have to bring a better understanding of the theory I discussed. In the part where I explain what flying is, I thought that I could make some use of the Microsoft flight simulator to explain some flying techniques used by the pilot.

My questions to you are:
    - What is your opinion of this plan?
    - Do you have any recommendations for some experiments which help to explain the theory of flying in a simple, but very usefull way?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2008 #2
    Re: Flying

Make a paper airplane? That would certainly be simple and it would fly. Overall, it sounds like a good idea. If you're good with computers, you could probably even show a graph illustrating the variation of lift at a given velocity.

Also, if you can you could also solve the problem yourself using bernoulli's equation and assuming an arbitrary surface for the wing.

You could also make a simple paper turbine which would spin if you put it over a candle (using the candle's hot air). I saw this once but I dont know what its called.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?