Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Some questions about linear transformation

1. May 9, 2005 #1

Eus

Hi Ho! ^^v

I've some questions regarding linear transformation in my linear algebra course, guys!
    Please help me! ^^v

Statement: A linear transformation is a special type of function.

My answer: Yes, it is a special type of function because it must satisfy the following properties from the definition of linear transformations which is
    A transformation (or mapping) T is linear if:
    1. T(c u + d v) = c T(u) + d T(v) for all u, v in the domain of T;
    2. T(c u) = c T(u) for all u and all scalars c.

Am I right?

Statement: The superposition principle is a physical description of a linear transformation.
    Note: In my book it is written, I rephrased it, the superposition principle is defined as the generalization of the definition of linear transformation (i.e. T(c1 v1 + ... + cp vp) = c1 T(v1) + ... + cp T(vp) for v1...vp in the domain of T and c1...cp are scalars)

My answer: Yes, it is because a physical event can be determined to be linear if the "input" conditions can be expressed as a linear combination of such "input" and the system's response is the same linear combination of the responses to the indiviual "input".

Am I right?

Maybe you could provide me with a better answer, please? ^^

Thank you very much, guys!
    Any help would be appreciated! ^^v

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted