1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Some questions on a take home quiz dont makes sense

1. Oct 10, 2005 #1
    11. a football player runs the pattern given in the drawing by three displacements vectors a b and c the magnitutdes of the vectors are a=5m b=15m and c = 18m find the magnitude and direction of the resultant displacement

wtf how do i do that dont i need a direction or somthing what is that asking?

14. a sign that weights 250N is suported by ropes a and b that make a 100 degree andle with one another . what forces do the ropes exert on the sign? dont forget the direction and angle(15 points)

that i think i get but i dont know the forumal do i use h= sqroot of(p squared + b squared)

15. an object in equilibrium has three forces exerted on it a 33 N force acts north and a 60 N force acts 60 degrees northeast. What is the magnitude and direction of the third force? (show angle and direction)

do i just find the resultant the way i normal would for the last two because it has the x and y component chart already ont he quiz

thanks for the help
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2005 #2
    14 makes perfect sense, and question 11 seems to indicate that there is some sort of diagram that goes with it.
  4. Oct 10, 2005 #3

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Of course. The drawing probably gives you the directions.

You will have to provide the drawing or describe them. The vertical components of the tensions must equal the weight of the sign.
    What does the third force have to be equal (and opposite) to?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2005
  5. Oct 10, 2005 #4
    i know but there isnt a diagram and i have a another question

is it possible for the forces on an object to add up to zero but still have it in motion and if so give an example. Is it possible for an object to not be in motion but have the forces on it add up to zero if so give an example
  6. Oct 10, 2005 #5
    Are you familiar with Newton's first law?
  7. Oct 10, 2005 #6
    i forgot it its like and object in motion stays in motion objec tin rest stays at rest right im going through my work quick i have 4 labs and a quiz due tomorrow
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?