1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Some questions on vector fields on Lie groups

1. Oct 18, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let G be a Lie group with unit e. For every g in G let Lg: G -> G, h-> gh be left multiplication.

a) Prove that the map G x TeG -> TG, (g,v) -> De Lg (v) is a diffeomorphism, and conclude G has a basis of vector fields.
    b) Prove for every v in TeG the is a unique vector field V on G that is left invariant (in the sense that the pullback of Lg on V is just V for all g in G) with Ve=v

for the original problem statement, see

Questions about this

Lg (v) is just (gv), but I'm not sure how De transforms (gv). It is defined as the map that transforms a curve tangent to a point b to a curve tangent to e(b) on some other chart in G. If I understood this right, then De would send (gv) to the tangent vector at the origin in the direction of gv? - this last sentence of my own I did not fully understand.

if someone could help clarify the problem a bit, not so much as give a solution... that would be nice.
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?