What are some practice questions for conformal mapping involving w=z+b^2/z?

• Thread starter brandy
  • Start date
In summary, if you are studying for a test on conformal mapping and are struggling to find examples in your textbooks, you can practice by using basic principles to answer simple questions such as finding the image and inverse mapping of a point under a given conformal mapping function.
brandy

Homework Statement

i have a test comming up soon and i want to study for it but its on conformal mapping and my teacher hasn't given me any examples because he has been away and i can find any questions in any of my textbooks. Basically there is going to be a question on the test involving w=z+b^2/z where z is a complex number and b is a constant.

All is how to take a position on the plane and transform it into a curve. I also know that you can sub in values for w and z (ie u + iv, and a + bi) and rearange to make equal to u and v. but i don't know what to do with it because i haven't had to use it in any questions.

so yea, i was wondering if the kind and incredibly smart brains on physics forums could give me some questions and some answers so that i could get some practise.

Physics news on Phys.org
Homework Equations w=z+b^2/zThe Attempt at a Solution I'm going to assume that you are familiar with the basic principles of conformal mapping. If so, then here are some simple questions that you can use to practice: 1. Find the image of the point (1,2) under the mapping w=z+b^2/z. Answer: The image of (1,2) is (1 + b^2, 2 + b). 2. Find the inverse mapping of w=z+b^2/z. Answer: The inverse mapping is z = (w - b)/(1 + b^2).

1. What is the meaning of z=b^2/z?

Z=b^2/z is a mathematical equation that represents a variable, z, being equal to the square of another variable, b, divided by the original variable, z. This equation is used in algebra and can be further simplified to z=b.

2. How is z=b^2/z used in scientific research?

This equation has many applications in scientific research, particularly in fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. It can be used to model various physical phenomena, such as the movement of particles or the behavior of electric fields.

3. What is the significance of the z=b^2/z equation?

The z=b^2/z equation is significant because it is a fundamental equation in algebra that can be used to solve for an unknown variable. It is also used in more complex equations and mathematical models in various scientific fields.

4. Can z=b^2/z be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, this equation can be applied to real-world situations. For example, it can be used to calculate the force of gravity between two objects or the energy stored in an electric field. It can also be used to model the behavior of natural phenomena, such as population growth or chemical reactions.

5. Are there any limitations or restrictions when using z=b^2/z?

Like any mathematical equation, there are certain limitations and restrictions when using z=b^2/z. One limitation is that it can only be used for variables that are real numbers. Additionally, certain assumptions may need to be made when applying this equation to real-world situations.