What Happens When Matter and Antimatter Annihilate?

• Thread starter humsafar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Antimatter
In summary, antimatter is a type of matter with the opposite charge of normal matter and can be produced through high-energy processes or natural phenomena. While it is not dangerous on its own, it can release a large amount of energy when it comes into contact with normal matter. Antimatter also has the potential to be a powerful source of energy, but it is currently expensive and difficult to produce and store. It is different from dark matter, which is a hypothetical form of matter that does not interact with light or other forms of electromagnetic radiation.
humsafar
Some Questions regarding antimatter...Please help

Hi there...I have some questions please help...

Q1)I need to know the result of annihilation of the following particles...
proton-antineutron
neutron-antiproton

Q2)If possible, please mention other annihilation as well such as nucleon-antinucleon, hydrogen-antihydrogen

Q3)In physics, i need to know all about antimatter...i.e the forces acting on it...also?
how it is different from matter, the em force, gluon force of antimatter, and all other in detail...

Q4)In physics, is there any way to produce gluon?

Q5) After big bang, matter and antimatter were equally produced, but they annihilated each other, But in which form did annihilation happened? (Quark or hadron)

Physics news on Phys.org

Perhaps you should share a little more with us. Is this homework?

I'm an amateur researcher currently doing my bachelors in computer science, I'm very interested in antimatter research

humsafar said:
Hi there...I have some questions please help...

Q1)I need to know the result of annihilation of the following particles...
proton-antineutron
neutron-antiproton

Q2)If possible, please mention other annihilation as well such as nucleon-antinucleon, hydrogen-antihydrogen

Q3)In physics, i need to know all about antimatter...i.e the forces acting on it...also?
how it is different from matter, the em force, gluon force of antimatter, and all other in detail...

Q4)In physics, is there any way to produce gluon?

Q5) After big bang, matter and antimatter were equally produced, but they annihilated each other, But in which form did annihilation happened? (Quark or hadron)

Question 1.is unclear.You seem to be suggesting that a proton can annihilate with an antineutron and a neutron with an antiproton.

I'm asking whether a proton-antineutron annihilation or antiproton-neutron annihilation is possible? if so then what is the result of these annihilations...

Annihilation can occur only between a particle and its antiparticle such as a proton with an antiproton and a neutron with an antineutron.An encounter between a proton and antineutron can result in annihilation but this would be a two stage process where first the antineutron decays by beta plus emission to form an antiproton plus a positron and neutrino.With the neutron antiproton reaction the neutron would first have to undergo beta minus emission to form a proton,electron and antineutrino.

Please try to answer other questions as well...Thank you

Any info on hydrogen-antihydrogen annhiliation? what of nucleus of hydrogen rather than proton annihilates with antinucleus of antihydrogen...is it possible?

humsafar said:
Any info on hydrogen-antihydrogen annhiliation? what of nucleus of hydrogen rather than proton annihilates with antinucleus of antihydrogen...is it possible?

Antihydrogen is simply an antiproton with an antielectron. They will annihilate nicely with the proton and electron of a hydrogen atom.

1. What is antimatter?

Antimatter is a type of matter that has the opposite charge of normal matter. For example, an antiproton has the opposite charge of a proton. When antimatter comes into contact with normal matter, they annihilate each other, producing energy.

2. How is antimatter produced?

Antimatter can be produced through high-energy processes, such as particle collisions in accelerators or through natural phenomena like cosmic rays. It can also be created through radioactive decay.

3. Is antimatter dangerous?

Antimatter itself is not dangerous, as it is just another form of matter. However, when it comes into contact with normal matter, it can release a large amount of energy, which can be dangerous. Currently, there is not enough antimatter in existence for it to pose a significant threat.

4. Can antimatter be used as a source of energy?

Yes, antimatter has the potential to be a powerful source of energy. When matter and antimatter annihilate each other, they release a large amount of energy. However, the process of producing and storing antimatter is currently very expensive and difficult, making it impractical for use as an energy source at this time.

5. What is the difference between antimatter and dark matter?

Antimatter is a type of matter with the opposite charge of normal matter. Dark matter, on the other hand, is a hypothetical form of matter that does not interact with light or other forms of electromagnetic radiation. It is believed to make up a large portion of the universe's mass, but it has not been directly observed or studied in depth.