Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Some Questions regarding antimatter Please help

1. Sep 8, 2010 #1
    Some Questions regarding antimatter....Please help

Hi there....I have some questions please help...

Q1)I need to know the result of annihilation of the following particles....
    proton-antineutron
    neutron-antiproton

Q2)If possible, please mention other annihilation as well such as nucleon-antinucleon, hydrogen-antihydrogen

Q3)In physics, i need to know all about antimatter...i.e the forces acting on it...also?
    how it is different from matter, the em force, gluon force of antimatter, and all other in detail...

Q4)In physics, is there any way to produce gluon?

Q5) After big bang, matter and antimatter were equally produced, but they annihilated each other, But in which form did annihilation happened? (Quark or hadron)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2010 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Re: Some Questions regarding antimatter....Please help

Perhaps you should share a little more with us. Is this homework?

4. Sep 9, 2010 #3

I'm an amateur researcher currently doing my bachelors in computer science, i'm very interested in antimatter research

5. Sep 9, 2010 #4

Question 1.is unclear.You seem to be suggesting that a proton can annihilate with an antineutron and a neutron with an antiproton.

6. Sep 9, 2010 #5

I'm asking whether a proton-antineutron annihilation or antiproton-neutron annihilation is possible? if so then what is the result of these annihilations...

7. Sep 9, 2010 #6

Annihilation can occur only between a particle and its antiparticle such as a proton with an antiproton and a neutron with an antineutron.An encounter between a proton and antineutron can result in annihilation but this would be a two stage process where first the antineutron decays by beta plus emission to form an antiproton plus a positron and neutrino.With the neutron antiproton reaction the neutron would first have to undergo beta minus emission to form a proton,electron and antineutrino.

8. Sep 10, 2010 #7

Please try to answer other questions as well......Thank you

9. Sep 10, 2010 #8

Any info on hydrogen-antihydrogen annhiliation? what of nucleus of hydrogen rather than proton annihilates with antinucleus of antihydrogen......is it possible?

10. Sep 10, 2010 #9

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Antihydrogen is simply an antiproton with an antielectron. They will annihilate nicely with the proton and electron of a hydrogen atom.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook