Calculating Time, Energy, and Frequency in Physics Problems

• Thread starter hellraiser
  • Start date
In summary, three problems were discussed in this conversation. The first problem involved a ring and a ball on a smooth horizontal surface, and the question asked for the time it takes for the ball to return to its original position after multiple elastic collisions. The second problem involved two concentric conducting shells with a potential difference and asked for the electrostatic energy of the system. The third problem involved two organ pipes of different lengths and asked for the beat frequency heard when they are sounded together. The summary also includes the solutions and correct answers for each problem.
hellraiser
(See the image on -- http://www.flickr.com/photos/58839342@N00/101683085/ )

1.) A ring of mass m and radius R is placed on a smooth horizontal surface. A small ball of same mass is given a velocity v/(sqrt2) from a point A (towards B) close to inner surface of the ring at 45 degrees from the line AO. If all the collisions are assumed elastic, then what is the time after which the ball will return to it's original position with respect to ring.

After the first collision the ring and ball interchange velocities. Time taken till the first collision takes place is 2R/v. After this collison relative velocity reverses it's direction. So time taken is 4R/v. (But ans is 8R/v)

2.) Two hollow concentric conducting shells of radii a and 4a are shown. The outer shell is connected with a battery of Potential Difference 3V and the inner shell is earthed. What is the electrostatic energy of the system?

p = pi e = epsilon (8.85 * 10^-12)
The capacitance of system is [(4 p e r1 r2)/(r1-r2)]
in this case r1 is 4a and r2 is a
so the capacitance is 16pea/3.
energy is 1/2 CV^2.
Putting V= 3 and capacitance i get 24pea. (Ans is 96pea)

3.)An organ pipe of length l is sounded together with another organ pipe of length l+x in their fundamental overtones (x<<l). What is the beat frequency heard? (speed of sound in air = v)

There is nothing given whether the pipe is closed or open. So I assumed them to be closed and got vx/(2l)^2. However the right answer is through an open organ pipe (vx/2l^2). Should it be mentioned that we have to take open or closed or it must be obvious?

Any help?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please help.

1. How do I calculate time, energy, and frequency in physics problems?

To calculate time, energy, and frequency in physics problems, you will need to use specific equations that relate to these measurements. For time, you can use the equation t = d/v, where t is time, d is distance, and v is velocity. For energy, you can use the equation E = mgh, where E is energy, m is mass, g is acceleration due to gravity, and h is height. For frequency, you can use the equation f = 1/T, where f is frequency and T is period.

2. What units should I use for time, energy, and frequency?

Time is typically measured in seconds (s), energy in joules (J), and frequency in hertz (Hz). However, depending on the specific problem, you may need to convert between different units. It is important to pay attention to units and make sure they are consistent throughout your calculations.

3. How do I convert between different units when calculating time, energy, and frequency?

To convert between different units, you will need to use conversion factors. For example, to convert from seconds to minutes, you can use the conversion factor 1 min = 60 s. So, if you have a time measurement of 120 seconds, you can convert it to minutes by dividing 120 by 60, which equals 2 minutes. Similarly, you can use conversion factors to convert between other units such as joules to calories or hertz to kilohertz.

4. Can I use the same equations for calculating time, energy, and frequency in all physics problems?

While the equations for time, energy, and frequency can be applied to many different physics problems, it is important to note that there may be specific equations or formulas that are more appropriate for certain situations. For example, if you are dealing with circular motion, you may need to use different equations for time and frequency. It is always important to carefully read the problem and determine which equations are most relevant.

5. How can I check if my calculations for time, energy, and frequency are correct?

To check your calculations, you can use dimensional analysis to make sure the units are consistent and make sense. You can also plug your final values back into the original equations to make sure they satisfy the given conditions in the problem. Additionally, you can compare your results with known values or use online calculators to verify your calculations.