1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Some questions.

1. Nov 25, 2006 #1
    1. Three resistances of value 1,2 and 5 have to be connected in such a way that all are used once. Which value cannot be obtained?
    1) 17/3 2) 17/4 3) 17/6 4)17/7

I know formulas for parallel and interconnected resistance. My teacher tells me that by looking at the options I can solve this. Pleasse help. I am not able to make out.

2. In stretching a spring through 4 cm, 2 J work is done. If it compressed by 6 cm then amount of work will be?

According to me its 3j but my book gives it 4.5 J. How come?

3. A wooden cube (densit 0.60 g/cc) just dips inside the water if pressed with a force of 10 N. What must be the size of cube? (g= 10m/s^2)

I have no idea.

Please help :tongue2:
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2006 #2

Homework Helper

You should show some efforts in order to get help.

Hint: regarding 2), what is the relation between work and the change of potential energy in a spring?
  4. Nov 25, 2006 #3
    I am sorry sir. I have problems. I am a student of class 9th. I take part in all the olympiads to learn new things. I have nothing to read except my own class text books. I just use the internet. Just imagine as to how can I think about something about which I dont have the slightest idea. I need help from you all (if its not a burden). Please try solving my questions and tell me about the topics and books or sites in which I could find relevant material.

5. Nov 25, 2006 #4

Homework Helper

6. Nov 25, 2006 #5
    Thank you very very much for your help. You gave me exactly what I needed. Thanks a million times!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?