Some quick problems before my exam 2morrow

• Thread starter ACLerok
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exam
In summary, The first question asks about the number of electrons allowed with a quantum number of n=5, l=?, m_l=-2, m_s=? and gives options A. 3, B. 6, C. 10, D. 8, and E. 25. The second question is about the formation of the pi bond in CH2NF and gives options A. sp^2 - 2py, B. 2px - 2py, C. 2py - sp^3, D. sp^2 - sp^2, and E. 2py - 2py. The third question asks about the number of orbitals allowed with a quantum number of n=5
ACLerok
Some quick questions before my Chem exam tomorrow. Here are some problems that were on a practice exam but I don't have the answers to them. I am stuck on all of these so i was wondering if you guys/gals can help me out with these. If you can't do all then one is fine.

how many electrons are allowed with n=5, l=?, m_l=-2, m_s=?
A. 3
B. 6
C. 10
D. 8
E. 25

The pi bond in CH2NF is formed with the following orbital overlap.
A. sp^2 - 2py
B. 2px - 2py
C. 2py - sp^3
D. sp^2 - sp^2
E. 2py - 2py

If the allowed values of the quantum number l were all integers from 0 to n, how many orbitals are allowed with n=5?
A. 64
B. 36
C. 83
D. 49
E. 25

In which of the following molecules is the C to C the shortest?
A. C2H6
B. C2H2
C. C2H4
D. H3CCOOH
E. H3CCN

Chemistry news on Phys.org
1,) 6 corresponding to l= 2,3,4 each with 2 spins

2.) possible sp^2-sp^2

3.) no of electrons

[tex] = \sum_0^{6} (2i+1) = 36 [/tex]

4.) triple bond will have shortest C-C distance hence C2H2

Last edited:

For the first question, the answer is C. 10. This is because the number of electrons allowed in an energy level is equal to 2n^2, where n is the principal quantum number. With n=5, there can be a maximum of 50 electrons, but since we are given other quantum numbers, we must take into account the exclusion principle and Hund's rule. Therefore, we must consider that l=0,1,2,3,4 and m_l=-2, and since m_s can have two values (+1/2 or -1/2), we can have 10 electrons in this scenario.

For the second question, the answer is D. sp^2 - sp^2. This is because the pi bond in CH2NF is formed between two sp^2 hybrid orbitals, one from carbon and one from nitrogen. The overlap of these two orbitals creates the pi bond.

For the third question, the answer is D. 49. This is because with n=5, there can be a maximum of 25 orbitals (2n^2). However, since we are only considering integer values of l, the allowed values are 0,1,2,3,4. This means there can be a maximum of 1+3+5+7+9=25 orbitals. However, since we are only considering l=0,1,2,3, there can be a maximum of 1+3+5+7=16 orbitals. Since we are considering n=5, there can be 5 different values of l, so the total number of orbitals is 5x16=80. However, since we are only considering integer values of l, we must divide by 2, giving us 80/2=40 orbitals. Since we are only considering m_l=-2, there can be a maximum of 2 electrons in each orbital, giving us 40x2=80 electrons. However, since we are only considering m_s=+1/2 or -1/2, we must divide by 2 again, giving us 80/2=40 electrons. Therefore, the maximum number of orbitals with n=5 is 40/2=20 orbitals.

For the fourth question, the answer is C. C2H4. This is because C2H4 has a double bond between the two carbon atoms

1. What are some quick problems that I should review before my exam tomorrow?

Some quick problems you should review before your exam tomorrow may include practice questions from previous exams or quizzes, key concepts from lectures or readings, and any study guides provided by your instructor.

2. How can I best prepare for my exam tomorrow in a short amount of time?

To best prepare for your exam tomorrow in a short amount of time, it is important to prioritize your studying. Focus on the most important concepts and practice problems, and try to review as much material as you can without overwhelming yourself. It may also be helpful to use study techniques like creating flashcards or summarizing information in your own words.

3. Should I pull an all-nighter to study for my exam tomorrow?

No, pulling an all-nighter to study for your exam tomorrow is not recommended. Lack of sleep can actually impair your ability to retain information and perform well on the exam. It is important to get a good night's sleep and be well-rested for the exam.

4. How can I stay motivated while studying for my exam tomorrow?

To stay motivated while studying for your exam tomorrow, try setting small goals for yourself and rewarding yourself when you reach them. You can also study with a friend or in a group to keep each other accountable and make studying more enjoyable.

5. What should I do if I feel overwhelmed before my exam tomorrow?

If you feel overwhelmed before your exam tomorrow, take a break and do something relaxing to clear your mind. Then, come back to studying with a fresh perspective. It may also be helpful to reach out to your instructor or a classmate for support and clarification on any confusing topics.