Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Some quick QM questions

1. Nov 9, 2008 #1
    I just had a couple quick questions while I'm reviewing for a test...

If two operators commute, what can we say about their eigenfunctions?

x commutes with pz, correct?

I understand that the energy for a hydrogen-like atom depends on n according to the equation ((-z^2 μe^4)/(2(4πϵ_o )^2 ℏ^2 ) 1/n^2 ), but why does it not depend on l also? Isn't a 3p electron supposed to have more energy than a 3s electron? Or is that only in many electron atoms?

Thanks, any help appreciated
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If two [hermitian] operators commute, then there exists a common eigenbasis for the two operators.
    You are correct. Since the Hydrogen atom has a purely Coulomb potential, the energy levels are indeed degenerate with respect to l. However, as you correctly note, this is not the case with many-electron atoms.
  4. Nov 9, 2008 #3
    Actually, even in hydrogen the 3p and 3s (or 2p and 2s) levels are not quite degenerate because of QED effects: the Lamb shift of 2p vs 2s being the most famous example.

But leaving out QED effects the levels with the same n and different l are indeed degenerate in H: this has to do with a symmetry that the H atom has, but no other: the Laplace-Runge-Lenz vector is conserved for an exact 1/r potential.
  5. Nov 12, 2008 #4

Staff: Mentor

Attention mna skt!

mna skt, I've moved your homework question to a new thread in one of the homework forums... click the following link to go to it:

Everybody else, please carry on. I'll try to remember to delete this post in a few days.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?