1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Some review problem

1. Jul 31, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I got this problem from K&K. A pedagogical machine is illustrated in the sketch above. Refer link : http://www.slideshare.net/brigittperalta/sol-maquina-pedagogica-1546585 . What force F must be applied on M1 to keep M3 from moving up or down. All surfaces frictionless.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    If I go and sit on the M1 block, I can mark a fictitious force on M2 to the left with magnitude (M2.F)/M1. On M2 there is also tension from the string (T) to the right. If M3 is to remain in equilibrium, M3.g = T and T = (M2.F)/M1 to prevent block 2 from moving which will cause block 3 to move.

Therefore, I get my answer to be F = (M3.g.M1)/M2. I am making a mistake here but cannot see where. Can someone please tell me where?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 31, 2009 #2

alphysicist

Homework Helper

Hi anirudh215,

I believe this is incorrect here. According to this expression, the overall horizontal acceleration would be given by F=(m1) a, which is not true.

Instead, begin by considering the entire setup as one mass to find the horizontal acceleration, and then continue from there as you already have done.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook