Solving Review Problems: Intersections of 3D Equations Explained

• Thread starter sheepcountme
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Review
In summary, the conversation discusses how to sketch the intersection of two equations, (x^2)+(y^2)+(z^2)=3 and z<0, and z=2(x^2)+2(y^2) and z=4-(x^2)-(y^2). The person is unsure of the method to use, but suggests looking at the intersection with a plane and considering how the variables relate to each other. They also mention that the second equation results in a circular paraboloid.
sheepcountme

Homework Statement

I'm having some trouble remembering how to do this in a refresher course...

sketch the intersection of (x^2)+(y^2)+(z^2)=3 and z<0
sketch the intersection of z=2(x^2)+2(y^2) and z=4-(x^2)-(y^2)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the first one is a circle with points at 1 and -1 on each axis, not too sure if there's a certain method I'm supposed to use to figure this out with though.

Physics news on Phys.org
note quite... the first is the half the surface of a sphere below zero

one way that may help is too look at the intesection with a plane (x=0,y=0,z=0) are good

then you either need to recognise the form or think about how one viarable relates toteh other the other

eg. for 2)
z=2(x^2)+2(y^2)

x=0
z=2(y^2)

x=0
z=2(x^2)

these are both idenitical parabolas

z=c>0
c/2=(x^2)+(y^2)

cuts in the cy planes give circles, so this a circular paraboloid,

you should try drawing each of the parbaolas and a circle in 3D perspective on paper

1. How do I solve for the intersection of 3D equations?

To solve for the intersection of 3D equations, you will need to set the equations equal to each other and solve for the variables. This will give you the coordinates of the point where the two equations intersect in 3D space.

2. What is the importance of understanding intersections of 3D equations?

Understanding intersections of 3D equations is important in many areas of science and engineering, such as computer graphics, robotics, and physics. It allows us to model and analyze the behavior of objects in 3D space, and can help us solve real-world problems.

3. What are some common methods for solving intersections of 3D equations?

Some common methods for solving intersections of 3D equations include substitution, elimination, and graphing. These methods involve manipulating the equations to eliminate one variable and solve for the other, or plotting the equations on a 3D graph to visually determine the intersection point.

4. How can I check if my solution for the intersection of 3D equations is correct?

You can check if your solution for the intersection of 3D equations is correct by substituting the values into both equations and seeing if they are equal. If they are, then your solution is correct.

5. Are there any online resources or tools available for solving intersections of 3D equations?

Yes, there are many online resources and tools available for solving intersections of 3D equations. Some examples include online equation solvers, 3D graphing calculators, and interactive tutorials. These can be helpful for practicing and checking your solutions.