1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Some set proofs

1. Jan 21, 2007 #1
    Disclaimer: I might have some problems getting my LaTeX code to work properly so please bear with me while I figure out how to properly use the forum software.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The exercise is to prove the following statements.

Suppose that [itex]f:X \rightarrow Y[/itex], the following statement is true.
    If [itex]\{G_{\alpha} : \alpha \in A\}[/itex] is an indexed family of subsets of Y, then [itex]f^{-1}(\bigcup_{\alpha \in A} G_\alpha) =\bigcup_{\alpha \in A} f^{-1}( G_\alpha) [/itex].

2. Relevant equations

The relevant information in this case is the definitions. In this case I need to know what the definition of an inverse function is.

DEF: Suppose [itex]f:X \rightarrow Y[/itex] and [itex] A \subset Y[/itex]. [itex]f^{-1}(A) = \{x \in X: f(x) \in A\}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

The solution I've been looking thus far is a point wise argument.

Choose [itex]t \in f^{-1}(\bigcup_{\alpha \in A} G_\alpha)[/itex]. So by definition we know
    [itex]t \in \{x \in X: f(x) \in (\bigcup_{\alpha \in A} G_\alpha)\}[/itex]. And here is where I'm kind of stuck. I need to some how get my chosen element to be in the other set, therefore making the one set a subset of the other. Then complete the converse of the argument to finish the proof.

Any ideas on where I should be looking, or what I should be thinking about here?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2007 #2

StatusX

Homework Helper

[itex]f(x) \in \cup_{\alpha \in A} G_\alpha[/itex] is equivalent to "there is some [itex]\alpha \in A[/itex] such that [itex]f(x) \in G_\alpha[/itex]". Also, you don't have to worry about doing the converse if every step you take is an equivalence.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?