Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Some set proofs

1. Jan 21, 2007 #1
    Disclaimer: I might have some problems getting my LaTeX code to work properly so please bear with me while I figure out how to properly use the forum software.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The exercise is to prove the following statements.

Suppose that [itex]f:X \rightarrow Y[/itex], the following statement is true.
    If [itex]\{G_{\alpha} : \alpha \in A\}[/itex] is an indexed family of subsets of Y, then [itex]f^{-1}(\bigcup_{\alpha \in A} G_\alpha) =\bigcup_{\alpha \in A} f^{-1}( G_\alpha) [/itex].

2. Relevant equations

The relevant information in this case is the definitions. In this case I need to know what the definition of an inverse function is.

DEF: Suppose [itex]f:X \rightarrow Y[/itex] and [itex] A \subset Y[/itex]. [itex]f^{-1}(A) = \{x \in X: f(x) \in A\}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

The solution I've been looking thus far is a point wise argument.

Choose [itex]t \in f^{-1}(\bigcup_{\alpha \in A} G_\alpha)[/itex]. So by definition we know
    [itex]t \in \{x \in X: f(x) \in (\bigcup_{\alpha \in A} G_\alpha)\}[/itex]. And here is where I'm kind of stuck. I need to some how get my chosen element to be in the other set, therefore making the one set a subset of the other. Then complete the converse of the argument to finish the proof.

Any ideas on where I should be looking, or what I should be thinking about here?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2007 #2

StatusX

Homework Helper

[itex]f(x) \in \cup_{\alpha \in A} G_\alpha[/itex] is equivalent to "there is some [itex]\alpha \in A[/itex] such that [itex]f(x) \in G_\alpha[/itex]". Also, you don't have to worry about doing the converse if every step you take is an equivalence.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook