Proving Inverse Function of Union Property

• Thread starter Geekster
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proofs Set
In summary, the exercise is to prove that if f:X \rightarrow Y and \{G_{\alpha} : \alpha \in A\} is an indexed family of subsets of Y, then f^{-1}(\bigcup_{\alpha \in A} G_\alpha) =\bigcup_{\alpha \in A} f^{-1}( G_\alpha). The relevant information for this proof is the definition of an inverse function, which states that f^{-1}(A) = \{x \in X: f(x) \in A\}. To complete the proof, one must show that t \in f^{-1}(\bigcup_{\alpha \in A} G_\alpha) if and
Geekster
Disclaimer: I might have some problems getting my LaTeX code to work properly so please bear with me while I figure out how to properly use the forum software.

Homework Statement

The exercise is to prove the following statements.

Suppose that [itex]f:X \rightarrow Y[/itex], the following statement is true.
If [itex]\{G_{\alpha} : \alpha \in A\}[/itex] is an indexed family of subsets of Y, then [itex]f^{-1}(\bigcup_{\alpha \in A} G_\alpha) =\bigcup_{\alpha \in A} f^{-1}( G_\alpha) [/itex].

Homework Equations

The relevant information in this case is the definitions. In this case I need to know what the definition of an inverse function is.

DEF: Suppose [itex]f:X \rightarrow Y[/itex] and [itex] A \subset Y[/itex]. [itex]f^{-1}(A) = \{x \in X: f(x) \in A\}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The solution I've been looking thus far is a point wise argument.

Choose [itex]t \in f^{-1}(\bigcup_{\alpha \in A} G_\alpha)[/itex]. So by definition we know
[itex]t \in \{x \in X: f(x) \in (\bigcup_{\alpha \in A} G_\alpha)\}[/itex]. And here is where I'm kind of stuck. I need to some how get my chosen element to be in the other set, therefore making the one set a subset of the other. Then complete the converse of the argument to finish the proof.

Any ideas on where I should be looking, or what I should be thinking about here?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[itex]f(x) \in \cup_{\alpha \in A} G_\alpha[/itex] is equivalent to "there is some [itex]\alpha \in A[/itex] such that [itex]f(x) \in G_\alpha[/itex]". Also, you don't have to worry about doing the converse if every step you take is an equivalence.

1. What is the purpose of proving set proofs?

The purpose of proving set proofs is to logically demonstrate that a given statement or proposition is true, based on a set of assumptions or axioms. This is an important part of the scientific method, as it allows us to confidently accept or reject hypotheses and theories.

2. How do you start proving a set proof?

The first step in proving a set proof is to clearly define the statement or proposition that you are trying to prove. This could involve breaking it down into smaller parts or rephrasing it in a more manageable way. Then, you can begin to use logical reasoning and established mathematical principles to build a logical argument for the truth of the statement.

3. What are some common techniques used in proving set proofs?

Some common techniques used in proving set proofs include direct proof, proof by contradiction, and proof by induction. Direct proof involves using existing theorems and axioms to logically show the truth of a statement. Proof by contradiction involves assuming the opposite of the statement and showing that it leads to a contradiction. Proof by induction is used for statements involving natural numbers, and involves proving that the statement holds for a base case and then showing that it also holds for the next case.

4. How do you know when a set proof is complete?

A set proof is considered complete when a logical argument has been presented that satisfies all of the necessary steps and assumptions. This means that the statement has been shown to be true based on the given assumptions and the previously accepted mathematical principles.

5. Can set proofs ever be proven wrong?

While set proofs are considered to be strong and reliable methods for proving the truth of a statement, they are not infallible. If there is an error in the logical reasoning or if the assumptions are incorrect, the set proof can lead to an incorrect conclusion. Therefore, it is important to carefully review and double-check set proofs before accepting them as true.