How Do Nitrogen Molecules Separate When Changing From Liquid to Gas?

• Thread starter JasonRox
  • Start date
In summary, the density of liquid nitrogen is 804 grams per litre and the density of nitrogen gas is 4.4 grams per litre. To calculate the increase in separation of nitrogen molecules from liquid to vapour states, the formula for density is used. The volume increase is found to be approximately 182 times the original distance between molecules in liquid form. The answer of 5.7 times given in the book may be due to rounding.
JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
This is a question in my book.

Density of Liquid Nitrogen 804 grams per litre.

Density of Nitrogen Gas 4.4 grams per litre.

Calculate the increase in the separation of nitrogen molecules from the liquid to vapour states.

Note: Can someone tell me how many cubic metres there is in a litre.

Physics news on Phys.org
A liter is one cubic decimeter, so there are 10 x 10 x 10 liters (that's 1000, just in case you don't have a calculator!) in a cubic meter.

[tex] 1 litre = 1000 cm^3[/tex]
[tex]1 cm = 10^{-2} m[/tex]
[tex](1 cm)^3 = (10^{-2} m)^3 [/tex]
[tex]1 cm^3 = 10^{-6} m^3[/tex]

[tex]1000 cm^3 = 10^{-3} m^3[/tex]

[tex]1 litre = 10^{-3} m^3 [/tex]

Use the density formula,

[tex] \rho = \frac {m}{v}[/tex]
Consider m mass of some liquid nitrogen and get the volume increase in percentage since no definite mass of liquid nitrogen is given. The mass of the liquid nitrogen doesn't change when it vapours to the gas form.

Doing other's homework is strictly not encouraged here. so, try it yourself first. when you are stuck, post what you have done here and help will come. good luck.

It's not my homework for gods sake. It's in an old physics book I bought at a second hand store.

I did try it, and I got 182x more distant, but the book says 5.7x, so I wanted to see where my mistake was. Knowing what a litre is(in metres), which the book did not explain would certainly help a little.

I understand that you don't like doing peoples homework, but it isn't even school season. Sheesh!

i guess you don't like what i have said here. anyway, i got the same answer as your.

look, when you have 1Liter of nitrogen gas, this contains 4.4 grams ; now imagine how many Liters do you need for 804 grams => (V/804)=(1L/4.4) => V=804/4.4 Liters = 182.7272... Liters and also V=l^3 => l=(V)^(1/3) => l=(182.7...)^(1/3) = 5.6745...~5.7.
wisky40

Thanks! That helps me out.

Let
[tex] x_{g}= N_{2}[/tex] molecules' separation in gas form
[tex] x_{l}= N_{2}[/tex] molecules' separation in liquid form

[tex] \frac{x_{g}^3-x_{l}^3}{x_{l}^3} = 182[/tex]
[tex] \frac{x_{g}}{x_{l}}= 5.7[/tex]

1. What is density and how is it calculated?

Density is a physical property that measures the amount of mass per unit volume of a substance. It is calculated by dividing the mass of a substance by its volume, usually expressed in units of grams per cubic centimeter (g/cm3) or kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m3).

2. Can density be used to identify substances?

Yes, density can be used to identify substances because each substance has a unique density that can be compared to known values. This can be especially useful in determining the purity of a substance or identifying unknown substances.

3. How does temperature affect density?

Temperature can affect density because as temperature increases, the volume of a substance can expand, resulting in a decrease in density. This is because the particles in a substance move faster at higher temperatures, causing them to take up more space. In general, substances have a lower density at higher temperatures and a higher density at lower temperatures.

4. What is the relationship between density and buoyancy?

Density and buoyancy are inversely related. This means that the more dense an object is, the less buoyant it will be in a fluid. Buoyancy is the upward force that a fluid exerts on an object, and it is affected by the object's density compared to the density of the fluid it is immersed in. If the object is less dense than the fluid, it will float; if it is more dense, it will sink.

5. How is density used in everyday life?

Density is used in many everyday applications, such as determining the appropriate amount of ingredients for a recipe, calculating the weight of an object, and understanding the behavior of different substances in various environments. It is also an important concept in fields such as engineering, chemistry, and geology.