1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Some simple help on densities.

1. Aug 24, 2004 #1

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This is a question in my book.

Density of Liquid Nitrogen 804 grams per litre.

Density of Nitrogen Gas 4.4 grams per litre.

Calculate the increase in the separation of nitrogen molecules from the liquid to vapour states.

Note: Can someone tell me how many cubic metres there is in a litre.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2004 #2

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A liter is one cubic decimeter, so there are 10 x 10 x 10 liters (that's 1000, just in case you don't have a calculator!) in a cubic meter.

4. Aug 24, 2004 #3
    [tex] 1 litre = 1000 cm^3[/tex]
    [tex]1 cm = 10^{-2} m[/tex]
    [tex](1 cm)^3 = (10^{-2} m)^3 [/tex]
    [tex]1 cm^3 = 10^{-6} m^3[/tex]

[tex]1000 cm^3 = 10^{-3} m^3[/tex]

[tex]1 litre = 10^{-3} m^3 [/tex]

Use the density formula,

[tex] \rho = \frac {m}{v}[/tex]
    Consider m mass of some liquid nitrogen and get the volume increase in percentage since no definite mass of liquid nitrogen is given. The mass of the liquid nitrogen doesn't change when it vapours to the gas form.

Doing other's homework is strictly not encouraged here. so, try it yourself first. when you are stuck, post what you have done here and help will come. good luck.

5. Aug 25, 2004 #4

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's not my homework for gods sake. It's in an old physics book I bought at a second hand store.

I did try it, and I got 182x more distant, but the book says 5.7x, so I wanted to see where my mistake was. Knowing what a litre is(in metres), which the book did not explain would certainly help a little.

I understand that you don't like doing peoples homework, but it isn't even school season. Sheesh!

6. Aug 25, 2004 #5
    i guess you don't like what i have said here. anyway, i got the same answer as your.

7. Aug 25, 2004 #6
    look, when you have 1Liter of nitrogen gas, this contains 4.4 grams ; now imagine how many Liters do you need for 804 grams => (V/804)=(1L/4.4) => V=804/4.4 Liters = 182.7272... Liters and also V=l^3 => l=(V)^(1/3) => l=(182.7...)^(1/3) = 5.6745...~5.7.
    wisky40

8. Aug 25, 2004 #7

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Thanks! That helps me out.

9. Aug 25, 2004 #8
    Let
    [tex] x_{g}= N_{2}[/tex] molecules' separation in gas form
    [tex] x_{l}= N_{2}[/tex] molecules' separation in liquid form

[tex] \frac{x_{g}^3-x_{l}^3}{x_{l}^3} = 182[/tex]
    [tex] \frac{x_{g}}{x_{l}}= 5.7[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?