Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Some simple questions

1. Apr 5, 2004 #1
    Correct me if I am wrong (which I may very well be). I was thinking about string theory, and what it would imply. Now, if everything was made up of strings, then this would imply that there is a minimum value for everything, correct?

I.E.- If the size of a string would represent 1, then there would be no such thing as the number .5. This number would imply something smaller than a string, which (I think) would be impossible.

Like I said, correct me if I am wrong. I am either stating the obvious (where I didn't know it was obvious), or I am WAY off base.

Paden Roder

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2004 #2
    Well I would think youre correct in stating that strings come in one size only and this would make sense as then many strings form to make quarks etc. so I think and i may be wrong that there is one type of string in one size.

4. Apr 13, 2004 #3
    There is believed to be different types of strings. For example gravitons which are not connected to our brane or three dimensional universe. Sorry about any wrong spelling. Gravitons are believed to floot into another brane. Connected strings just vibrate at different rates creating differet quarks and inturn different atoms.

5. Apr 13, 2004 #4
    See if you can get your hands on an article by Ed Witten entitled "Reflections on the fate of spacetime". He described some of the effects of having a minimum length.

You should be able to get a preprint off the web.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?