Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Some speculations on Time

1. Feb 10, 2006 #1
    Could time have two defining properties?
    Let's say time has one property called Time, and another one called Pace.
    Now Time itself could be said to be only particles moving, and if so, time would be chaotic.
    If you imagine it, you'd have particles flying all over the place, at different paces, a plate would fall at a different speed each time, even though gravity controlled it.

Of course, if time itself is constant because all the forces that move matter is constant, then we have another theory.
    But still something doesn't quite fiti nto the picture.
    Why does everything move at the same pace that we expect it to?
    Why are the relative speeds always constant when measured against the movement of another object in spacetime?

Every object in the universe(I define object as a car, a human, a ball, a house, etc) seems to go at the same PACE, as in, relatively to eachother, the error in measurment relatively to each object is constant.

So, I propose that we have two properties of time, one is time itself, which si still an unknown phenomena, but also the PACE at which time changes and moves.
    It seems to be what is holding everything in place.

I hope I explained myself deeply enough, any thoughts are welcomed.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2006 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I don't see that you've explained anything.

"Let's say time has one property called Time, and another one called Pace."

Without telling us anything about "pace" this is nonsense.

"Now Time itself could be said to be only particles moving, and if so, time would be chaotic.
    If you imagine it, you'd have particles flying all over the place, at different paces, a plate would fall at a different speed each time, even though gravity controlled it."

Why would that follow?

"Why does everything move at the same pace that we expect it to?"

I don't understand. What do you mean by "the same pace that we expect it to"? Is "pace" here the same undefined word you were using before? Or does it mean speed? It is certainly not my experience that thing always move however I "expect" them to!

"Why are the relative speeds always constant when measured against the movement of another object in spacetime?"

?? They aren't!

4. Feb 11, 2006 #3
    OK. Imagine it sort of like a movie then.
    If you run a videotape at 2x the speed, everything in the movie runs at 2x the speed. I call that the pace.
    In the universe everything moves at the same speed, relative to eachother.
    For instance if we duplicate a situation whereo bjects are moving, the obnjects will always move at the same speed, relative to eachother, instead of in one situation where the objects could be moving at 2x the speed.

So I ask, what controls the pace of time?

5. Feb 11, 2006 #4

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Okay. I just tried to formulate some kind of answer to what I think you might be asking, but I'm having a great deal of difficulty doing so and frankly, that is probably a sign that I'm really not qualified to answer your question, whatever it may be. This seems to be more of a scientific question dealing with special relativity and the way in which different observers can experience the passage of time. You should try to ask this in the relativity forum because I don't think anyone in philosophy is going to be able to provide anything akin to a clear answer.

You should definitely clarify the question first, though, because it's still difficult to tell what you're asking.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?