What are the defining properties of time and its relationship with pace?

• Thread starter octelcogopod
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary: Sometimes it's easier to clarify a question by explaining what you're looking for in terms of finding an answer or what kind of answer you want.In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of time having two properties, Time and Pace, and how these properties affect the movement and speed of objects in the universe. The speaker proposes that the pace at which time changes and moves may be what holds everything in place. However, the concept of "pace" is not clearly defined, making it difficult to fully understand the argument. It is suggested that this topic is better suited for a discussion in a scientific forum.
octelcogopod
Could time have two defining properties?
Let's say time has one property called Time, and another one called Pace.
Now Time itself could be said to be only particles moving, and if so, time would be chaotic.
If you imagine it, you'd have particles flying all over the place, at different paces, a plate would fall at a different speed each time, even though gravity controlled it.

Of course, if time itself is constant because all the forces that move matter is constant, then we have another theory.
But still something doesn't quite fiti nto the picture.
Why does everything move at the same pace that we expect it to?
Why are the relative speeds always constant when measured against the movement of another object in spacetime?

Every object in the universe(I define object as a car, a human, a ball, a house, etc) seems to go at the same PACE, as in, relatively to each other, the error in measurment relatively to each object is constant.

So, I propose that we have two properties of time, one is time itself, which si still an unknown phenomena, but also the PACE at which time changes and moves.
It seems to be what is holding everything in place.

I hope I explained myself deeply enough, any thoughts are welcomed.

Physics news on Phys.org
octelcogopod said:
Could time have two defining properties?
Let's say time has one property called Time, and another one called Pace.
Now Time itself could be said to be only particles moving, and if so, time would be chaotic.
If you imagine it, you'd have particles flying all over the place, at different paces, a plate would fall at a different speed each time, even though gravity controlled it.

Of course, if time itself is constant because all the forces that move matter is constant, then we have another theory.
But still something doesn't quite fiti nto the picture.
Why does everything move at the same pace that we expect it to?
Why are the relative speeds always constant when measured against the movement of another object in spacetime?

Every object in the universe(I define object as a car, a human, a ball, a house, etc) seems to go at the same PACE, as in, relatively to each other, the error in measurment relatively to each object is constant.

So, I propose that we have two properties of time, one is time itself, which si still an unknown phenomena, but also the PACE at which time changes and moves.
It seems to be what is holding everything in place.

I hope I explained myself deeply enough, any thoughts are welcomed.
I don't see that you've explained anything.

"Let's say time has one property called Time, and another one called Pace."

Without telling us anything about "pace" this is nonsense.

"Now Time itself could be said to be only particles moving, and if so, time would be chaotic.
If you imagine it, you'd have particles flying all over the place, at different paces, a plate would fall at a different speed each time, even though gravity controlled it."

Why would that follow?

"Why does everything move at the same pace that we expect it to?"

I don't understand. What do you mean by "the same pace that we expect it to"? Is "pace" here the same undefined word you were using before? Or does it mean speed? It is certainly not my experience that thing always move however I "expect" them to!

"Why are the relative speeds always constant when measured against the movement of another object in spacetime?"

?? They aren't!

OK. Imagine it sort of like a movie then.
If you run a videotape at 2x the speed, everything in the movie runs at 2x the speed. I call that the pace.
In the universe everything moves at the same speed, relative to each other.
For instance if we duplicate a situation whereo bjects are moving, the obnjects will always move at the same speed, relative to each other, instead of in one situation where the objects could be moving at 2x the speed.

So I ask, what controls the pace of time?

Okay. I just tried to formulate some kind of answer to what I think you might be asking, but I'm having a great deal of difficulty doing so and frankly, that is probably a sign that I'm really not qualified to answer your question, whatever it may be. This seems to be more of a scientific question dealing with special relativity and the way in which different observers can experience the passage of time. You should try to ask this in the relativity forum because I don't think anyone in philosophy is going to be able to provide anything akin to a clear answer.

You should definitely clarify the question first, though, because it's still difficult to tell what you're asking.

1. What is time and how does it work?

Time is a concept used to measure the duration of events or the intervals between them. It is often thought of as a linear progression from the past to the present and into the future. However, the concept of time is complex and has been studied by scientists and philosophers for centuries. Some theories suggest that time is a fundamental aspect of the universe, while others propose that it is a construct created by human perception.

2. Can time travel be possible?

The concept of time travel has been a topic of great interest and debate. While there is no scientific evidence to support the idea of traveling through time, some theories, such as Einstein's theory of relativity, suggest that it may be possible to manipulate time through extreme conditions, such as traveling at the speed of light. However, the feasibility and ethical implications of time travel are still a matter of speculation.

3. Is time a constant or does it vary?

The concept of time as a constant or variable has been a subject of debate among scientists. Some theories, such as the theory of relativity, suggest that time is relative to the observer and can vary depending on factors such as speed and gravity. However, the concept of time as a constant is widely accepted in many scientific fields and is used as a fundamental measurement in various equations and theories.

4. How does time relate to space?

The relationship between time and space has been a topic of interest in physics and cosmology. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, time and space are interconnected and can be influenced by factors such as gravity and acceleration. This theory suggests that time can be affected by the curvature of space, and vice versa, leading to the concept of spacetime.

5. Can we control or manipulate time?

While there is currently no scientific evidence to support the idea of controlling or manipulating time, some theories propose that it may be possible through advanced technology or understanding of the laws of physics. However, the concept of manipulating time raises many ethical and philosophical questions, and its feasibility remains a topic of speculation.