Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Some #$%@*$ stole my &!$*%# clothes

1. May 14, 2006 #1

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

some #$%@*$ stole my &!$*%# clothes!!

went to the laundrymat this morning. washed my clothes, then put them in the dryer. I was starving so I walked across the shopping center to get a sandwich. I was gone 10 minutes. Came back and the dryer was open, clothes were gone. :surprised :frown: :cry:

I know it's my own fault but DANG! how low. :mad:

the total take was: 4 pairs of jeans (all that I own), 1 pair pants, 2 shirts, 1 sweater.

the owner of the place is very nice. I've been going there for years so I know him pretty well. he has a video tape he is looking at, but still, I will probably never see my clothes again.

I have a low opinion of people right now.:frown:

moral of the story: don't walk away from your laundry at the laundromat.

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2006 #2
    Ouch, I'm sorry...! I've heard of that happening! I do hope they find who does it, so you can get your clothes back. I've had stuff taken from me from a laundry mat, but lucky never clothes. Good luck getting them back...

4. May 14, 2006 #3
    That sucks. Find the person on tape, they will come back to the laudrymat in the next day or two. Then call the police on him. He will have to hang around for a good hour as those cloths wash. The police will show up before he's done.

5. May 14, 2006 #4

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks, SS and Cyrus. There is a security staff that patrols the center so I'm hoping we got a shot of them on tape, and they can be on the lookout. We have started having a transient problem though so it may have just been someone passing through who saw an opportunity. There are places around that buy old jeans so they could resell them quickly.

I just went shopping. Bought some new stuff. It was the only way to get over it.

6. May 14, 2006 #5

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

MIH, I am sorry to here of your misfortune. :frown:

*Gives MIH a hug* :smile:

Please don't let the action of one bad person ruin your opinion of people, but that was certainly a mean and low thing to do. :grumpy:

7. May 14, 2006 #6

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hee hee, they stole your pants.

Seriously though, hope they catch the buggers love, and give them what for!

8. May 14, 2006 #7

Evo

That stinks! I had a dress stolen once, which was weird, they only took one article. All your clothes has to be really bad.

Hope they find the scum. :devil:

9. May 14, 2006 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wow! That's pretty low. I've never heard of someone stealing clothes from a laundromat. Usually the biggest risk of leaving your clothes unattended is if they get busy and someone decides not to wait for you to return to toss your clothes in a heap somewhere while they use the washer.

I used to do as you did all the time when I still used laundromats...I'd go next door for pizza or a sandwich (there was both a pizza parlor and a deli in the same plaza as the laundromat) while the clothes were washing. I never worried about the clothes, just made sure I took all my quarters with me.

Well, it sounds like it was a good excuse to go shopping anyway. :smile: I hope they catch the person who did it, or that the person was truly so needy as to have to steal clothing.

The least they could have done was steal them while they were still dirty, not wait for you to wash them, then take them. :grumpy:

10. May 14, 2006 #9

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks, Nuc. I appreciate it. I guess I should be grateful it was only clothes. I would have been much unhappier if my laptop got swiped. Or if something irreplaceable went missing, like my kitty. Clothes are replaceable. I'd lost some weight anyway and needed to get some smaller jeans. I was getting the droopy drawers effect! :rofl:

Thanks, Noggie. Uh oh, what does pants mean in the UK? They didn't get my undies - thank goodness!:redface:

That sounds kinda creepy, Evo. Did they take your dress from the laundry?

11. May 14, 2006 #10

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No doubt! That was the insult to injury part! Dang it! grrrrrr

12. May 14, 2006 #11

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Huh, I had the opposite problem. I got home from doing my laundry at the mall today, and found I had, like, 6 pairs of pants I've never seen before, a couple of shirts and a sweater that I didn't recognize.

Anyway, they weren't my size so I cut em up for rags.

13. May 14, 2006 #12

Astronuc

The local laundromat has automatic locks on the washing machines. Once you close the door and put the coins in, its locked until it finishes. I found this out the hard way when I put the soap in, closed the door, put the coins in, and selected the cycle - it started and I couldn't open the door. I still hadn't put the clothes in :grumpy: I only made that mistake once. :rolleyes:

14. May 14, 2006 #13

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

LIAR! You're wearing my sexy hot pink UCLA baby doll t-shirt right now, aren't you!? Aren't you?!:grumpy:

15. May 14, 2006 #14

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

oh crud! well, you gave the machine a good cleaning anyway!:rofl:

16. May 14, 2006 #15
    awww MIH, that blows!! i've never heard of that either, but i don't use laundry mats much. i hope your new clothes are super awesome. like you said, those older things were too big. now you look all cute in your brand new threads!

17. May 14, 2006 #16
    I didn't know world still has such idiots around to steal somebody's clothes. I assume it was a hoax, and those clothes lie somewhere in the bushes now, otherwise you must have had some beautiful and expensive clothes. I always leave my loundry, go home, and come back after 40 minutes. Hmm, hope you find your clothes back, and the clothe looter too.

18. May 14, 2006 #17
    "super awesome" :tongue:

19. May 14, 2006 #18

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks Gale and everybody for taking a minute to cheer me up. It helped. Really, it did. Bless your sweet heart, heartless. :biggrin:

20. May 14, 2006 #19
    I see my friend curious4321 reading this thread, I hope he does not get his panties in a bunch.

21. May 14, 2006 #20

DaveC426913

Gold Member

No.

I'm using it as pillow case.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?