Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Some superconductor help

1. Feb 9, 2012 #1
    Hello!

Me and some friends are doing a phyics project at school. The theme is superconductor. The school have a superconductor, but its broken i half (like two half moons). My question is: will this effect the result? And does the thickness matter how far above the surfice it will levitate?

And does anyone have any suggestions were you can buy superconductor (cheap)?

This is what we though about.

Thank =)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2012 #2

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, it won't look as pretty but it won't affect the main results

No, not at the scales we are talking about here. As far as I remember there are some pre-factors that come into if the SC is very thin or very narro, but the length scale is set by the penetraton depth whihc is of the order of tens of nm, meaning this is not an issue here.

4. Feb 9, 2012 #3
    Okay, we had some problems with our superconductor, it only levitated max 0.1-0.5 mm above our magnetics. Can we improve it in anyway?

5. Feb 9, 2012 #4

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

What was the strength of your magnets?

6. Feb 10, 2012 #5
    Grade 42
    Pullforce Class 1 6.56 lbs
    Pullforce Class 2 50.86 lbs

7. Feb 10, 2012 #6

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Hmmm. Would stronger magnets have any effect?

8. Feb 10, 2012 #7
    We got really strong magnetics. We suspect that we might need a stronger superconductor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook