1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Some tips for enjoying physics?

1. Mar 26, 2015 #1
    hi everyone,
    I have seen this phenomenon many times. People who used to be fascinated about physics no longer love physics anymore because of the stress/classes/jobs. One of my friend has had this issue and I had this also a while ago and it is coming back up.

I would like to open this thread for people to post some positive tips for having fun with physics.
    One thing that is true for me is that I never want to be pushed. I feel like physics is like rock climbing, whenever I am pushed or I want to push myself, I run into anxiety. I feel like doing physics is like solving a puzzle. One have to go through the process of confusion to reach the ultimate joy. And being calm is absolutely crucial to it.
    Another thing is the motivation. I find it really hard to go to class, read the textbook and solve the homework problems just to get a good grade. What I often do, as well as my friends, is to find some problems that I am interested and try to play around with it using what's in the book.In fact, one of my professor once said that people never learn from reading books. They only learn from doing problems.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2015 #2
    Burn out is very common. Sometimes the best thing to do is take a step back, work on something else for a bit and then come back to physics. You'll feel refreshed and engaged again.

4. Mar 27, 2015 #3
    The biggest trick for me was switching from a field that sounds super-cool and suitable to impress people on the Internet (high "glamour factor") to one that sounds more like everyday physics but is actually fun to work in on an everyday-basis.

5. Mar 29, 2015 #4
    This response is not going to be all that positive. I think most of us starting liking a subject because we begin to see its application in a situation or problem that is interesting to us. And you can continue to take that approach if you take this subject as a hobby. But if you are honestly interested in the subject you must bear with those topics that do not necessarily thrill you. Each topic has its own unique contribution to the subject and must be dealt with and in my experience not in you time table.

I don't know at what point in your education you are at but I must point out that being "pushed" is a fact of life. Whether being pushed by yourself or someone else to meet a deadline or to achieve a goal, there is always a pressure to keep moving and achieving something. So what is the saying ...stop the world I want to get off.

I'm not an adherent to the concept of having fun as a goal with Physics or any subject . .I find enjoyment yes, I find satisfaction, yes. Entertainment, not really, I think the personal value of an effort is a side product of its accomplishment, the more I accomplish the more I enjoy it. So I enjoy something because I can do it. One may be attracted to something initially because it has certain elements of interest. But one also finds that there may be baggage accompanying it and if you are not wiling to accept this "burden" you will not succeed.

So you do it, it gives something back in return, which you then can accept as full payment for the work you put into it.

6. Mar 29, 2015 #5
    Exactly this. Sure, I'm essentially doing classic mechanics, but what other physics major gets to camp out in Turkey for 3 weeks as part of their senior project?

In my experience, if you are happy with what you're actually doing in your job/research, you'll have a much more enjoyable experience.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook