Some tips for enjoying physics?

In summary: Many people who used to be fascinated about physics no longer love physics anymore because of the stress/classes/jobs. One of my friend has had this issue and I had this also a while ago and it is coming back up.People who used to be fascinated about physics no longer love physics because of the stress/classes/jobs. One of my friend has had this issue and I had this also a while ago and it is coming back up.People who used to be fascinated about physics no longer love physics because of the stress/classes/jobs. One of my friend has had this issue and I had this also a while ago and it is coming back up.
Physics_Loverss
hi everyone,
I have seen this phenomenon many times. People who used to be fascinated about physics no longer love physics anymore because of the stress/classes/jobs. One of my friend has had this issue and I had this also a while ago and it is coming back up.

I would like to open this thread for people to post some positive tips for having fun with physics.
One thing that is true for me is that I never want to be pushed. I feel like physics is like rock climbing, whenever I am pushed or I want to push myself, I run into anxiety. I feel like doing physics is like solving a puzzle. One have to go through the process of confusion to reach the ultimate joy. And being calm is absolutely crucial to it.
Another thing is the motivation. I find it really hard to go to class, read the textbook and solve the homework problems just to get a good grade. What I often do, as well as my friends, is to find some problems that I am interested and try to play around with it using what's in the book.In fact, one of my professor once said that people never learn from reading books. They only learn from doing problems.

Physics news on Phys.org
Burn out is very common. Sometimes the best thing to do is take a step back, work on something else for a bit and then come back to physics. You'll feel refreshed and engaged again.

The biggest trick for me was switching from a field that sounds super-cool and suitable to impress people on the Internet (high "glamour factor") to one that sounds more like everyday physics but is actually fun to work in on an everyday-basis.

Likes jbrussell93 and ModusPwnd
This response is not going to be all that positive. I think most of us starting liking a subject because we begin to see its application in a situation or problem that is interesting to us. And you can continue to take that approach if you take this subject as a hobby. But if you are honestly interested in the subject you must bear with those topics that do not necessarily thrill you. Each topic has its own unique contribution to the subject and must be dealt with and in my experience not in you time table.

Physics_Loverss said:
One thing that is true for me is that I never want to be pushed

I don't know at what point in your education you are at but I must point out that being "pushed" is a fact of life. Whether being pushed by yourself or someone else to meet a deadline or to achieve a goal, there is always a pressure to keep moving and achieving something. So what is the saying ...stop the world I want to get off.

I'm not an adherent to the concept of having fun as a goal with Physics or any subject . .I find enjoyment yes, I find satisfaction, yes. Entertainment, not really, I think the personal value of an effort is a side product of its accomplishment, the more I accomplish the more I enjoy it. So I enjoy something because I can do it. One may be attracted to something initially because it has certain elements of interest. But one also finds that there may be baggage accompanying it and if you are not wiling to accept this "burden" you will not succeed.

So you do it, it gives something back in return, which you then can accept as full payment for the work you put into it.

Likes elkement
Timo said:
The biggest trick for me was switching from a field that sounds super-cool and suitable to impress people on the Internet (high "glamour factor") to one that sounds more like everyday physics but is actually fun to work in on an everyday-basis.

Exactly this. Sure, I'm essentially doing classic mechanics, but what other physics major gets to camp out in Turkey for 3 weeks as part of their senior project?

In my experience, if you are happy with what you're actually doing in your job/research, you'll have a much more enjoyable experience.

1. What are some tips for understanding complex physics concepts?

One tip is to break down the concept into smaller, more manageable parts. You can also try explaining the concept to someone else, as this can help solidify your understanding. Additionally, practicing with problems and examples can greatly improve your understanding of complex physics concepts.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in physics?

One way to improve your problem-solving skills is to approach problems systematically. This involves identifying what is given, what is unknown, and what equations or principles can be applied to solve the problem. You can also try practicing with a variety of problems to develop your analytical and critical thinking skills.

3. What are some effective study strategies for physics?

Some effective study strategies for physics include reviewing class notes and materials regularly, creating concept maps or diagrams, and actively engaging in problem-solving exercises. It can also be helpful to form study groups or seek out additional resources, such as online tutorials or practice problems.

4. How can I make physics more enjoyable?

One way to make physics more enjoyable is to find real-life applications of the concepts you are learning. This can help you see the practical relevance of physics and make it more interesting. You can also try exploring different branches of physics or conducting experiments to deepen your understanding and make the subject more engaging.

5. How can I stay motivated while studying physics?

It can be helpful to set specific and achievable goals for yourself, such as completing a certain number of practice problems or understanding a particular concept. Additionally, taking breaks and rewarding yourself for your progress can help maintain motivation. Surrounding yourself with supportive peers and seeking out a mentor in the field can also provide motivation and inspiration.