Proving the Limit of Z(n) = b for Z(n) = ((a^n + b^n))^(1/n) with 0 < a < b

• Thread starter semidevil
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tips
In summary, to show that the limit of Z(n) = b, given 0 < a < b, we can use the fact that Z(n) is bounded between b and 2^(1/n) * b. This means that as n approaches infinity, Z(n) will approach b. No need to use logarithms.
semidevil
so I need to show that Z(n) := ((a^n + b^n))^(1/n), show that the limit of Z(n) = b, given 0 < a < b.

been going back and forth and can't think of anything, but here are some random thoughts.

-basically, if I look at this in terms of definition, it is saying to show that |Z(n) - b | < episilon
- a < b means a^n < b^n
-can I conlcude that b is an upperbound?

are any of these important to solving this proof?

any ideas guys? I'm just stumped and dotn know where to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
HINT:Use the fact that the limit and the natural logarithm commute...It should come out pretty easily.

Daniel.

Forget the logarithms. You know that
Z(n) < (b^n + b^n) ^ (1/n) = 2^(1/n) * b
and
Z(n) > (b^n ) ^ (1/n) = b

Just evaluate the limits...

Last edited:

1. What are some tips for conducting a successful experiment?

Some tips for conducting a successful experiment include clearly defining your research question, carefully designing your experiment, accurately recording data, and repeating the experiment multiple times to ensure reliable results.

2. How can I improve my scientific writing?

To improve your scientific writing, it is important to clearly and concisely communicate your findings, use appropriate scientific terminology, and support your claims with evidence from reputable sources.

3. What are some strategies for analyzing and interpreting data?

Some strategies for analyzing and interpreting data include using descriptive statistics to summarize data, conducting inferential statistics to make predictions or draw conclusions, and creating visual representations such as graphs or charts to better understand the data.

4. How do I choose the right research methodology for my study?

Choosing the right research methodology depends on your research question and the type of data you are collecting. Some common research methodologies include experimental, correlational, and observational studies. It is important to thoroughly research and understand the strengths and limitations of each methodology before selecting one for your study.

5. How can I ensure the ethical conduct of my research?

To ensure ethical conduct of research, it is important to obtain informed consent from participants, protect their privacy and confidentiality, and follow ethical guidelines set by your institution or governing bodies. It is also crucial to consider the potential risks and benefits of your research and ensure that it does not cause harm to participants.