1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Some Tough Problems (for me at least)

1. Jun 7, 2006 #1
    Hi, I'm new here. I came to this board because I am having troubles with certain problems with an assignment. If anyone can help me, it would be greatly appreciated.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2006 #2
    Yes we all help each other on PF...but the first rule is to post all your work here :smile: before asking for help...

4. Jun 7, 2006 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

The second rule is to be careful about the size of your pictures. Try to make them fit in a standard widow without the need to scroll horizontally.

Now, how would you go about approaching the first two problems?

5. Jun 10, 2006 #4
    I just solved the first problem, can someone verify if it is correct (methods, notation wise)?[​IMG]

Attached Files:

6. Jun 10, 2006 #5

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It may take a while for you image to be approved, would you consider typing your solution?

7. Jun 10, 2006 #6
    Lets try this, I uploaded the image on a free server.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2006
  8. Jun 10, 2006 #7

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I can't see any problems with your workings in question one. What are your thoughts one question two. If you would like to include equations in your posts, see this thread. Would you also please consider resizing your image in you orgininal post.

9. Jun 10, 2006 #8
    Thanks. I just fixed it, sorry about that. I'm working on number 2 now, It will take me awhile to understand+solve it.

10. Jun 10, 2006 #9

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thank you, much better. :smile: I'll give you a hint for question two - consider the torques about the top of the step.

11. Jun 10, 2006 #10
    Here is what I got for number 2, I hope it's right.
    [​IMG]

12. Jun 10, 2006 #11

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

Looks good. Nice format. By the way, something interesting about this problem is that the magnitude of the weight and the applied force are the same for the Ry and Rx components of the reaction force at point A.

13. Jun 10, 2006 #12

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Again, your working looks spot on and you got the same answer as me :smile: 5 stars for presentation I think

14. Jun 10, 2006 #13
    Thanks guys. Now for number 3, I'm not sure how to solve this problem but heres my go at it. First I am supposed to find the center of mass of the uniform triangle which is where the force of gravity is concentrated on, from there I would just calculate the torque as usual with the moment arm from the point of rotation to the center of mass and Fg = mg. Is this the correct approach?

15. Jun 10, 2006 #14

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sounds about right. Looks like your getting the answers without our help, we'll be redundant soon :wink:

16. Jun 10, 2006 #15
    Here is what I did for number 3,
    [​IMG]

I'm not very certain about my statements (especially for part b) :shy:

17. Jun 10, 2006 #16

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

(a) Is spot on.

For (b) you may also want to add that "there is no horizontal displacement betweent he centre of gravity and the axis of rotation." But your answer is technically correct.

(c) Also looks correct to me although you may want to state that assuming AC = 1/2AB.

18. Jun 10, 2006 #17
    Okay, it's now clear to me, thanks again for your help. Two more questions to go....

For the next question, I'm completely new to these types of problems. I'm having troubles actually just understanding the problem, but I drew a diagram of what i think is going on,
    [​IMG]
    The blue arrows represent the forces.

19. Jun 10, 2006 #18
    Once again, here is my uncertain solution,
    [​IMG]
    I've got a real bad feeling about this one.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2006
  20. Jun 10, 2006 #19

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

Each roof rafter supports a 170kg load, in reality snow loads are modeled as distributed, not concentrated. Also they usually calculate the load on a horizontal roof by using the load on the soil, and if the roof has a slope, you apply a factor... How did you know the location of the snow loads on each rafter? did you guess it?. In my opinion i think they will be at L/4 the length of the house.

21. Jun 10, 2006 #20
    Yeah I know I'm totally new to this question, I don't know how to proceed in the method that your explaining. If you can guide me thorugh this question, that would help a lot, because I'm totally lost.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?