1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Some vector problems.

1. May 8, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

1. Two forces of equal magnitude are acting on a particle along two different directions. Let [tex]\theta[/tex]
    be the angle between them. If direction of one vector is reversed , the magnitude of resultant is halved. Find tan[tex]\theta[/tex].

2.The resultant of the two vectors having magnitudes 5 and 4 is 1. what is the magnitude of their cross product?
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    for 1st one-
    tan[tex]\theta[/tex] = Acos[tex]\theta[/tex][tex]\frac{}{}[/tex]A + Asin[tex]\theta[/tex]
    and tan2[tex]\theta[/tex] = 2Acos[tex]\theta[/tex][tex]\frac{}{}[/tex]A + Asin[tex]\theta[/tex]
    2nd one -
    i get cos[tex]\theta[/tex] as -1.

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2010 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

i can't really work out what you have attempted, note that you can put a whole equation in the tex tags.

first if they are parallel, the resultant would go to zero when one is reversed
    second, if they are pepindicular, the resultant would not change.

so you know the original angle is some where between 0 & pi/2

i would start by setting up a coordinate axis, where x is parallel to the vector that will be unchanged, then
    [tex] F_x = F + F cos(\theta)[/tex]
    [tex] F_y = F sin(\theta)[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook