Can You Solve These Vector Questions About Wind?

In summary: So it was just a guess. Are you allowed to tell me which equation would be best fit in this situation or would I have to figure that out?If you want to know the best equation to fit the data, then you will have to figure that out.
uniquegirl
Homework Statement
1 a) A kite skier is moving at 25 m s^1 in the N 25^0 E
direction as shown in the diagram. Calculate the
northerly and easterly velocity of the skier.

b) A strong gust of wind from the west causes the skier to accelerate to the east at 2.0 m s-2 for 1.8 s.
Calculate the new velocity in the easterly direction

c) Use your answer in (b) to calculate the size and direction of the new resultant velocity of the skier
Relevant Equations
N/A
N/A

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    3.2 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Start by drawing some vectors based on the description of the problem.

According to our guidelines in order to receive help, you must show some effort towards the solution. Tell us what you think. "No idea where to start" is not showing an effort. It would also help if you figured out what equations are relevant and put them under heading "Relevant equations" where you actually put the statement of the problem. We provide the template to organize you and get you started so please, for future reference, use it appropriately.

Likes Lnewqban
So a vector diagram, One arrow to the north, one somewhere in between North and east and one towards east.

Likes Lnewqban
Would I use 25degrees sin/cos to find the northerly and easterly velocity?

DRAW A DIAGRAM. Then we can discuss it. If you have mistakes, we'll help you see where.

Also, "please help" is not really a helpful subject line.

For part 1a) you are being asked to find the northerly and easterly components of the given velocity vector.

If you truly have ‘no idea where to start’, watch the video below. It explains how to find the components of any vector, including the trigonometry you need. (Alternative videos can easily be found.)

You need to take the initiative; e.g.
- watch and understand the video;
- try solving part 1a) using what you have learned;
- post your working/answer here to get feedback.

Then 1b) and 1c) can be tackled.

Likes Delta2
Thank you so much I really appreciate the help, I will figure out question 1 and then post the answers:smile:

Likes Lnewqban
Thread closed for Moderation...

OP has been warned to show some efforts. I also changed the thread title: "Please Help!" is not a good idea.

As the OP promised to show us their solution of question 1, I will re-open the thread.

Likes berkeman
Capture.PNG

My vector diagram is-
Capture1.PNG

Attempt at 1a) Northerly velocity: Sin 25degrees=Vn/25
Vn= 25sin25degrees
= 10.56 ms^1 N
Easertly Velocity: Cos 25 degrees= vn/25
Vn= 25cos25 degrees
vn= 22.65 ms^1 E

It seems that the location of West is not correct.

uniquegirl said:
Attempt at 1a) Northerly velocity: Sin 25degrees=Vn/25
This is not correct.

##\sin 25^o## and ##\cos 25^o## can be defined in terms of a right triangle where one of the angles in the triangle is ##25^o##. "Side opposite", "side adjacent", and "hypotenuse" are involved.

Were you thinking in terms of a particular right triangle? If so, can you sketch or describe the triangle that you had in mind?

Likes Delta2 and Lnewqban
Lnewqban said:
It seems that the location of West is not correct.
sorry, I accidentally labelled it wrong in my diagram, I meant East

Likes Lnewqban
TSny said:
This is not correct.

##\sin 25^o## and ##\cos 25^o## can be defined in terms of a right triangle where one of the angles in the triangle is ##25^o##. "Side opposite", "side adjacent", and "hypotenuse" are involved.

Were you thinking in terms of a particular right triangle? If so, can you sketch or describe the triangle that you had in mind?
Just a normal right-angle triangle.

uniquegirl said:
Just a normal right-angle triangle.
Here is your drawing
1656979540144.png

There are no right triangles indicated in the drawing. Can you post an updated diagram which shows the particular right triangle that you used to set up your expression for ##\sin 25^o##?

If you did not use a right triangle, can you explain how you arrived at ##\sin 25^o = \large \frac{v_n}{25}##?

Likes Delta2
I just used trigonometry because that is what you use to find the horizontal and vertical velocities. So it was just a guess. Are you allowed to tell me which equation would be best fit in this situation or would I have to figure that out?

Is velocity=distance/time a better formula? But because I'm not given a time, I'm a bit confused

You didn't apply the laws of trigonometry correctly.

uniquegirl said:
I just used trigonometry because that is what you use to find the horizontal and vertical velocities.
Can you explain how you used trigonometry?

uniquegirl said:
So it was just a guess.
We want to avoid guessing.

uniquegirl said:
Are you allowed to tell me which equation would be best fit in this situation or would I have to figure that out?
It would not really help you if I told you the equation. If I did, what would you do the next time you have a similar, but somewhat different problem? It's essential that you learn to figure it out using basic information that you have learned.

I'm sure you've learned the basic trigonometry shown in this link.

Can you draw a right triangle in your drawing that has the ##25^o## angle as one of the angles in the right triangle? If you can, then you can try to identify which side is the "side adjacent" to the ##25^o## angle, etc.

Likes Delta2
uniquegirl said:
Are you allowed to tell me which equation would be best fit in this situation or would I have to figure that out?
To add to what @TSny said, we are not here to GIVE you answers, we are here to help you figure out how to GET answers.

Blindly plugging things into equations is not how you get answers. You get answers by learning to understand the physics involved in problems.

TSny said:
Can you explain how you used trigonometry?We want to avoid guessing.It would not really help you if I told you the equation. If I did, what would you do the next time you have a similar, but somewhat different problem? It's essential that you learn to figure it out using basic information that you have learned.

I'm sure you've learned the basic trigonometry shown in this link.

Can you draw a right triangle in your drawing that has the ##25^o## angle as one of the angles in the right triangle? If you can, then you can try to identify which side is the "side adjacent" to the ##25^o## angle, etc.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    3.5 KB · Views: 51
OK, that looks pretty good. :oldsmile: The triangle should be a right triangle. Which angle in your triangle is the right angle?

The one in-between opp and hyp

uniquegirl said:
The one in-between opp and hyp
No. Here is a more carefully drawn diagram showing how the north and east components ##V_n## and ##V_e## are drawn.

1656984637694.png

We always construct the components by "perpendicular projection" of the (red) vector onto the axes. That is, the dotted lines meet the axes at right angles. So, we end up with right triangles.

The upper left right-triangle is the one you were essentially drawing. The right angle is the angle between the sides that are opposite and adjacent to the 25o angle.

Can you see how to use a trig function to determine ##V_n##?

Likes Lnewqban and Delta2
Would it be Vn= opp/hyp? But since the measurements for opp aren't given...

uniquegirl said:
Would it be Vn= opp/hyp? But since the measurements for opp aren't given...
Hmm, no . Can you write cos(25) and sin(25) in terms of adj,opp and hyp? Vn plays the role of adjacent side and Ve playes the role of opposite side btw in case you didn't catch that.

Likes Lnewqban
But since Ve isn't given, would it be 25? or am I missing something?

uniquegirl said:
Look at the triangle formed by the red arrow, the vertical blue arrow, and the dashed line across their tops. In relation to the 25°, the blue arrow is the adjacent, the dashed line is the opposite and the red arrow is the hypotenuse.
Which ratio do you want in order to find Vn from V? What is that ratio as a trig function of the 25°?

Likes Lnewqban
uniquegirl said:
Ve isn't given but is not equal 25. 25 is the hypotenuse. Ve is one of the vertical sides, the opposite to the angle of 25 degrees and the adjacent side is Vn .

If i give you a right triangle with the hypotenuse equal to 25 and one angle equal to 25 degrees, can you find the side adjacent to the angle of 25 degrees?

Likes Lnewqban
Yup!

Likes Delta2
uniquegirl said:
Yup!
ok so what will be the adjacent side if the hypotenuse is 25 and the angle is 25 degrees? And what will be the opposite side?

sin(25)= 0.4226...
0.4226... = d / 25
Swap sides:d / 25= 0.4226...
Multiply both sides by 30:d = 0.4226...x 25
Calculate: d = 10.56 to 2 decimal places
So opp would be 10.56?

Is this it?

• Love
Likes malawi_glenn and Delta2
<h2>1. What are vectors and how are they related to wind?</h2><p>Vectors are mathematical quantities that have both magnitude and direction. They are used to represent the movement of objects, such as wind. In the context of wind, vectors are used to represent the speed and direction of the wind.</p><h2>2. How do you calculate the magnitude of a wind vector?</h2><p>The magnitude of a wind vector can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, where the magnitude is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of the horizontal and vertical components of the vector.</p><h2>3. What is the difference between wind speed and wind velocity?</h2><p>Wind speed is the rate at which air is moving, while wind velocity is the speed and direction of the movement of air. In other words, wind speed is a scalar quantity, while wind velocity is a vector quantity.</p><h2>4. How do you represent wind direction using vectors?</h2><p>Wind direction can be represented using a compass or a unit vector. A unit vector is a vector with a magnitude of 1, pointing in the direction of the wind. The direction of the wind can be determined by the angle that the unit vector makes with the horizontal axis.</p><h2>5. How can vectors be used to predict wind patterns?</h2><p>Vectors can be used to predict wind patterns by analyzing the magnitude and direction of the wind vectors at different locations. This can help determine the overall direction and strength of the wind, as well as any changes in direction or speed over time.</p>

1. What are vectors and how are they related to wind?

Vectors are mathematical quantities that have both magnitude and direction. They are used to represent the movement of objects, such as wind. In the context of wind, vectors are used to represent the speed and direction of the wind.

2. How do you calculate the magnitude of a wind vector?

The magnitude of a wind vector can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, where the magnitude is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of the horizontal and vertical components of the vector.

3. What is the difference between wind speed and wind velocity?

Wind speed is the rate at which air is moving, while wind velocity is the speed and direction of the movement of air. In other words, wind speed is a scalar quantity, while wind velocity is a vector quantity.

4. How do you represent wind direction using vectors?

Wind direction can be represented using a compass or a unit vector. A unit vector is a vector with a magnitude of 1, pointing in the direction of the wind. The direction of the wind can be determined by the angle that the unit vector makes with the horizontal axis.

5. How can vectors be used to predict wind patterns?

Vectors can be used to predict wind patterns by analyzing the magnitude and direction of the wind vectors at different locations. This can help determine the overall direction and strength of the wind, as well as any changes in direction or speed over time.