1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Some vector relating problems

1. Mar 21, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

1. Suppose r(t)= (e^t * cost) i + (e^t * sint) j. Show that the angle between r and a never change. What is the angle.

2. Find the equations for the osculating, normal, and rectifying planes of the curve r(t)=t i + t^2 j + t^3 k.

3. Express the curvature of a twice differentiable curve r= f(theta) in the polar terms of r and its derivatives

2. Relevant equations

Kappa, Torsion, cross product, dot product,...

3. The attempt at a solution

1. So a is the acceleration. Thus, it is the 2nd derivative. So do I find the normal vector of r and a and then take their cross product to find the angle ? What will be the normal vector to r ??

2. So is the osculating plane pretty much the curvature circle ? What is the rectifying plane ?

3. I am kinda lost in the problem. How should I attack this ?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2009 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, just take the second derivative. Do the unit vectors i and j ever change with time? If not, then the time-derivative of r is easy to find.

4. Mar 21, 2009 #3
    I took the 2nd derivative. But I need to find the angle though ????

5. Mar 21, 2009 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

For any two vectors, u.v=||u||*||v||cos(theta)...where theta is the angle between them....so theta=___?

6. Mar 21, 2009 #5
    Right. I got it but how do I prove it that it does not change ??

7. Mar 21, 2009 #6

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, what is d(theta)/dt?

8. Mar 21, 2009 #7
    0 ??

How about the 2nd problem ?

9. Mar 21, 2009 #8
    I think I got the first problem solved. How about the next 2 ?

10. Mar 22, 2009 #9
    For number 2, what is the equation of osculating and rectifying plane look like ? I know for the normal plane it is a(x-x0)+b(y-y0)+c(z-z0)=0

Is the rectifying plane formed by the binormal vector and the unit tangent vector T ??

Any suggestion for number 3 ?

11. Mar 22, 2009 #10
    I have already solved number 2.

Any suggestion for 3 ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook