Solving Error: Cannot Copy File - Windows XP SP2

• Thread starter VietDao29
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Weird
In summary, the user attempted to copy a 700 MB file to a USB drive, but encountered an error message. After trying several things, including rebooting the computer, deleting the file, and formatting the drive, the user was able to copy the file again. After Windows wrote some hidden files to the USB drive, the user asked if they could delete them.
VietDao29
Homework Helper
Huhuhu, this is just sssssoooooo weird... :cry:
My friend asked me to copy, and send him some guitar scores. And I agreed. I also told him to give me a USB, since mine is only 512 MB, and the file is approximately 700 MB. So he gave me a 2GB one.
I plug it to my computer. Right click on the file, and then choose Send To... Removable Hard Disk. I often do this, and it seems normal at the start.
But then, after about 40% the file has been copied, it came to a halt, and an error message pops out of nowhere, :frown: telling me that:

"Error copying File or folder: error: Cannot copy <file name> The volume for a file has been externally altered so that the opened file is no longer valid."

Ok, after staring at it for a while, then decided to remove the USB, then wait for 1 minute, and put it back in, and tried to delete the file.

The file size reduced to 0, but it's still there. Yes, and I tried to delete it again, and again. Another message pops out, telling me that:
"Cannot delete <file name> : Access denied
Make sure the disk is not full, or write protected, and that the file is not currently in use.
"

This is driving me nuts, of course, the file was not currently opened, nor was the drive protected, or full, since more than 50% of the space is free. :grumpy:

So I tried to renamed the original file, and gave it another try. Even worse, now, the message pops out right away, and no amount of the file was copied.

So, I went online, searching for the phrase, and luckily, I found Microsoft... @___@ What it tells me to do can be written in only 2 lines:

"User Action:

Create a new file on a different volume. If you continue to get this message contact your system administrator."

So... ok, I gave up. M$ seems to think that everyone is expert at IT, they didn't even care about explaining the "volume" thingy. :cry: :cry: Do they expect that everyone can understand what "volume" is?. =.="
In fact, reading there instruction is of no use, I couldn't even understand it... What they wrote can be written by a little 3-year-old baby. :grumpy:

Please, please, somebody, help me. WHat should I do now? Is it a bug, or something? I've never seen this before. :frown:---------------

Ah, btw, I am using Wins XP, SP2, if that may help. :)

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Yes, I have seen those messages a few times before, a long time ago, although I don't remember what I did to make them go away. Have you tried rebooting your PC? Eject the USB drive, reboot and try things again.

Boot up in safe mode (hit F8 repeatedly when you see the BIOS banner) and navigate to the file with explorer and delete it. I had a similar 0 byte file that XP would not let me delete and I had to get into safe mode to kill it.

Try reformatting the usb memory stick.

Use linux to destroy the file!

BURN! BUURRN!

AHH

Ok, no more coffee for me.

Btw, try copying a different file to the drive. Perhaps the pen-drive is going bad.

A format doesn't sound like a bad idea. If windows gives an error every time, then maybe it's a windows error. Try using linux to copy the file over. (You can probably use a live-cd to do this if you don't have linux installed)

Hi
Thanks everyone. :smile:
Well, I had to format the whole USB, and it worked fine again. Thanks everyone.

Btw, I also have something more to ask.
After formatting the disk, I noticed that Windows had written some hidden file to it. Can I delete those files? What are those files used for? Are they for covering the bad sector of my disk?

Once again, thank you very much. :)

1. Why am I getting the error "Cannot copy file" when trying to copy a file in Windows XP SP2?

This error is commonly encountered when the file you are trying to copy is currently in use by another program or process. This can also happen if the file is corrupted or if there are permission issues.

2. How can I fix the "Cannot copy file" error in Windows XP SP2?

First, make sure that the file is not currently in use by any other program. If it is, close the program and try copying the file again. If that doesn't work, try repairing any corrupted files on your computer using the System File Checker tool (sfc.exe). You can also check the file's permissions and make sure you have the necessary permissions to copy it.

3. Is there a specific type of file that causes the "Cannot copy file" error in Windows XP SP2?

No, this error can happen with any type of file. However, certain types of files such as system files or files that are currently in use by another program may be more likely to trigger this error.

4. Can I use any third-party software to solve the "Cannot copy file" error in Windows XP SP2?

Yes, there are several third-party software programs available that can help you solve this error. Some examples include Unlocker, Process Explorer, and FileAssassin. These programs can help you determine which process or program is currently using the file and allow you to close it so you can copy the file successfully.

5. Is there a way to prevent the "Cannot copy file" error from happening in the future?

To prevent this error, make sure to properly close any programs or processes that may be using a file before attempting to copy it. It's also a good idea to regularly scan your computer for any corrupted files and fix them using the System File Checker tool. Additionally, make sure you have the necessary permissions to access and copy files on your computer.