Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Some weird message

1. May 7, 2007 #1

VietDao29

Homework Helper

Huhuhu, this is just sssssoooooo weird... :cry:
    My friend asked me to copy, and send him some guitar scores. And I agreed. I also told him to give me a USB, since mine is only 512 MB, and the file is approximately 700 MB. So he gave me a 2GB one.
    I plug it to my computer. Right click on the file, and then choose Send To... Removable Hard Disk. I often do this, and it seems normal at the start.
    But then, after about 40% the file has been copied, it came to a halt, and an error message pops out of nowhere, :frown: telling me that:

"Error copying File or folder: error: Cannot copy <file name> The volume for a file has been externally altered so that the opened file is no longer valid."

Ok, after staring at it for a while, then decided to remove the USB, then wait for 1 minute, and put it back in, and tried to delete the file.

The file size reduced to 0, but it's still there. Yes, and I tried to delete it again, and again. Another message pops out, telling me that:
    "Cannot delete <file name> : Access denied
    Make sure the disk is not full, or write protected, and that the file is not currently in use.
    "

This is driving me nuts, of course, the file was not currently opened, nor was the drive protected, or full, since more than 50% of the space is free. :grumpy:

So I tried to renamed the original file, and gave it another try. Even worse, now, the message pops out right away, and no amount of the file was copied.

So, I went online, searching for the phrase, and luckily, I found Microsoft... @___@ What it tells me to do can be written in only 2 lines:

"User Action:

Create a new file on a different volume. If you continue to get this message contact your system administrator."

So... ok, I gave up. M$ seems to think that everyone is expert at IT, they didn't even care about explaining the "volume" thingy. :cry: :cry: Do they expect that everyone can understand what "volume" is?. =.="
    In fact, reading there instruction is of no use, I couldn't even understand it... What they wrote can be written by a little 3-year-old baby. :grumpy:

Please, please, somebody, help me. WHat should I do now? Is it a bug, or something? I've never seen this before. :frown:

---------------

Ah, btw, I am using Wins XP, SP2, if that may help. :)

Last edited: May 7, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2007 #2
    Yes, I have seen those messages a few times before, a long time ago, although I don't remember what I did to make them go away. Have you tried rebooting your PC? Eject the USB drive, reboot and try things again.

4. May 7, 2007 #3

turbo

Gold Member

Boot up in safe mode (hit F8 repeatedly when you see the BIOS banner) and navigate to the file with explorer and delete it. I had a similar 0 byte file that XP would not let me delete and I had to get into safe mode to kill it.

5. May 7, 2007 #4
    Try reformatting the usb memory stick.

6. May 8, 2007 #5
    Use linux to destroy the file!

BURN! BUURRN!

AHH

Ok, no more coffee for me.

7. May 8, 2007 #6
    Btw, try copying a different file to the drive. Perhaps the pen-drive is going bad.

A format doesn't sound like a bad idea. If windows gives an error every time, then maybe it's a windows error. Try using linux to copy the file over. (You can probably use a live-cd to do this if you don't have linux installed)

8. May 9, 2007 #7

VietDao29

Homework Helper

Hi
    Thanks everyone. :smile:
    Well, I had to format the whole USB, and it worked fine again. Thanks everyone.

Btw, I also have something more to ask.
    After formatting the disk, I noticed that Windows had written some hidden file to it. Can I delete those files? What are those files used for? Are they for covering the bad sector of my disk?

Once again, thank you very much. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?