Somebody help me save this solution

• Thread starter benorin
  • Start date
In summary, you are trying to find a function that is continuous on [0,1] and satisfies properties i, ii, and iii, except that f_1 is not continuous. You break the interval (0,1] into a union of compact intervals and define f's using this. You then try to satisfy the continuity part by adjusting the f's.
benorin
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Ok, I have an almost solution, but it fails one requirement at one point for one function :cry: !

Problem: ] Find continuous functions [itex]f_{n}: [0,1] \rightarrow [0,\infty),\forall n\in\mathbb{N} [/itex] such that,

i. [itex]f_{n}(x) \rightarrow 0,\forall x\in [0,1] [/itex] as [itex]n \rightarrow \infty,[/itex]

and

ii. [itex]\int_0^1 f_{n}(x)dx \rightarrow \infty[/itex], as [itex]n \rightarrow \infty,[/itex]

but such that

iii. [itex]g(s):=\mbox{sup} \left\{ f_{n}(s) : n\in\mathbb{N}\right\} = \frac{1}{s}[/itex] on [itex]s\in (0,1][/itex] so [itex]\lim_{t \rightarrow 0^{+}} \int_t^1 g(s)ds = \infty .[/itex]

My (almost) Solution: Let

[tex]\chi_{A}(x)=\left\{\begin{array}{cc}0,&\mbox{ if }
x \in \mbox{NOT}(A)\\1, & \mbox{ if } x\in A\end{array}\right.[/tex]

denote the characteristic function of the set A, where [itex]\mbox{NOT}(A)[/itex] is the complement of A.

Put [tex]f_{1}(x)=\frac{1}{x} \chi_{(0,1]}(x),[/tex] and let
[tex]f_{n}(x)=\frac{1}{nx} \chi_{(\frac{n-1}{n},1]}(x),[/tex] for [tex]n\geq 2[/tex].

Then [tex] \left\{ f_{n}(x) \right\} [/tex] satisfies properties i, ii, and iii, except that [itex]f_1[/itex] is not continuous (from the left) at x=0.

Please save it!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
why do you even need to define f_1 like that? there is a rathe simple and obvious way to make a function continuous on [0,1] whose sup on that interval is 1, which is after all all you need to do. I've not checked everything else is satisfied, in fact they don't appear to be. since none of the f_n appear to be continuous at x=(n-1)/n

Last edited:
[tex]f_n[/tex] has a discontinuity at (n-1)/n for all n. ii) isn't satisfied either, [tex]f_n[/tex] is bounded by 1/(n-1) nad is supported on ((n-1)/n,1], an interval of length 1/n so the integrals go to zero as well.

You're trying to capture the sup part in one function, don't.

As a suggestion, ignore the continuity part for now. Break the interval (0,1] into a union of compact intervals where the integral of 1/x over these intervals goes to infinity (as the index of the interval increases). Define f's using this. Then try to satisfy the continuity part by adjusting the f's.

Thanks guys! Duh, I'm so tired, I have mathematical tunnel-vision...

P.S. what's tex for not an element of (the negation of [itex]\in[/itex])?

\nin

the latex for negation of \foo is almost always \nfoo

Alternatively you can bypass the "not" by being lazy:

[tex]\chi_{A}(x)=\left\{\begin{array}{cc}1,&\mbox{ if }
x\in A\\ 0, &\mbox{ else }\end{array}\right[/tex]

Last edited:
Don't know why that doesn't work, but there's a "not fun" way to do it :

[tex] \in \hspace{-2ex}\slash [/tex]

Until someone has a nicer solution, that should work.

it could be that \nin is some AMS latex variant and not supported here. it's not as though all latex extensions are, though having xymatrix would be nice, let's see if it works:
[tex]\xymatrix{ A \ar[r]^{\alpha} & B }[/tex]
evidently not,

What about \notin

[tex]\notin[/tex]

yep.

\not\foo should work in general:

[tex]\not\in\ \not\exists\ \not =[/tex]

I would try to go about this problem constructing the fn as pictured below. You'd want the pink point to have limit 0 as n goes to infinity (so that fn(x) -> 0 as n -> infinity, for all x), but have it go to infinity very slowly. On the other hand, you want the blue point to go towards the y-axis very quickly, and the green point to go slowly. This will make sure that for every x, 1/x is the value of some fn because if you make the blue point go quickly and the green point go slowly, there will always be some overlap between consecutive fn's so you'll be sure to hit all the 1/x. Moreover, doing it this way, you should be able to have the area under the graphs grow as n increases, which should ensure that the integral of the functions as n goes to infinity is infinity.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    3.8 KB · Views: 351
Doesn't [itex]g(s):=\mbox{sup} \left\{ f_{n}(s) : n\in\mathbb{N}\right\} = \frac{1}{s}\Rightarrow \exists n_{0}\in\mathbb{N}\mbox{ such that } f_{n_{0}}(s)= \frac{1}{s}, \forall s\in (0,1] ?[/itex]

Could this particular function be continuous at s=0, or am I delusional?

Last edited:
benorin said:
Doesn't [itex]g(s):=\mbox{sup} \left\{ f_{n}(s) : n\in\mathbb{N}\right\} = \frac{1}{s}\Rightarrow \exists n_{0}\in\mathbb{N}\mbox{ such that } f_{n_{0}}(s)= \frac{1}{s}, \forall s\in (0,1] ?[/itex]

No it doesn't. [tex]f_1(x)=x^{-1}\chi_{(0,1)}(x)[/tex] but for all n>1 take [tex]f_n(x)=1[/tex] for all x. It's no problem producing a continuous example either.

benorin said:
Could this particular function be continuous at s=0, or am I delusional?

If f(x)=1/x on (0,1], then it must be discontinuous at x=0 (assuming it's defined there).

Last edited:
Is this more lucid?

So
[itex]g(s):=\mbox{sup} \left\{ f_{n}(s) : n\in\mathbb{N}\right\} = \frac{1}{s}\Rightarrow \forall s\in (0,1], \exists n_{s}\in\mathbb{N}\mbox{ such that } f_{n_{s}}(s)= \frac{1}{s} \geq f_{n}(s) \forall n\in\mathbb{N}?[/itex]

Where the subscript of [itex]n_{s}[/itex] emphasizes the notion that n varies with s.

Was that more lucid?

Last edited:
Given that condition i) holds, then yes that's true you must actually hit 1/s with one of the functions and the "sup" could be replaced with "max".

Thank you shmoe, matt grime, AKG, et. al. I think I've got a better preception of the problem, and I'll post my next solution for your collective criticism.

AKG said:
I would try to go about this problem constructing the fn as pictured below. You'd want the pink point to have limit 0 as n goes to infinity (so that fn(x) -> 0 as n -> infinity, for all x), but have it go to infinity very slowly. On the other hand, you want the blue point to go towards the y-axis very quickly, and the green point to go slowly. This will make sure that for every x, 1/x is the value of some fn because if you make the blue point go quickly and the green point go slowly, there will always be some overlap between consecutive fn's so you'll be sure to hit all the 1/x. Moreover, doing it this way, you should be able to have the area under the graphs grow as n increases, which should ensure that the integral of the functions as n goes to infinity is infinity.

This suggestion is thus far my only clue, and best hope. It is unfortunately impossible, (assuming that the curves from 0 to the blue dot, and the segment from the green dot to pink dot are linear segments).

Do the curve fitting, make the integral go to zero, and retain the upper bound I require three sequences which satisfy impossible inequalities.

I mean not to complain. Thank you.

I can't figure what this problem has to do with the subject matter contained in the chapter (being Positive Borel measures, the Riesz Representation Theorem, and the like). Any thoughts?

Would it help to have fn(0) not be 0 for all n, rather let it be some number that approaches 0 very slowly? Actually, no, I suppose it wouldn't. It would only contribute an extra triangle of decreasing area.

Last edited:
Actually, I think something similar might work, however, it seems so similar to the previous suggestion that either I'm wrong that this one will work or I'm wrong that the previous one doesn't work. Suppose my original suggestion for fn was a linear map on [0,1/n]. We want to add something on to this, but let everything to the right of 1/n remain the same. Now the line segment from (0,0) to (1/n,n) has slope n². Draw a line parallel to this line segment, intersecting the y-axis at n-1/4. Also, draw a line parallel to the x-axis, intersecting the y-axis at n. Now the y-axis, the two lines we just drew, and the segment from (0,0) to (1/n,n) form a trapezoid. I believe that the height of this trapezoid is on the order of n-3/4. The segment (0,0) to (1/n,n) has length on the order n. So the area is on the order of n1/4. This goes to infinity as n goes to infinity, as desired.

On the other hand, over half of this trapezoid is the triangle I suggested before. But that triangle would have a base of n-1/4 and a height of 1/n, so it's area would be 0.5n-5/4 which goes to 0 as n goes to infinity. So what's wrong here?

I thinking I need a sequence of functions bounded above by 1/x and converging non-uniformly to the dirac delta at x=0 so that the limit of the integral is zero, yet... crap: I don't know. This problem is... <groan>.

I made a typo in the original post: my bad.

ii. should read [itex]\int_0^1 f_{n}(x)dx \rightarrow 0[/itex]

instead of [itex]\int_0^1 f_{n}(x)dx \rightarrow \infty[/itex]

I think some modification of the thing in post #12 should work. If you look at each fn having three parts: 2 triangles and the 1 area bounded above by 1/x, then make the area in the middle go from x=1/(n+1) to 1/n. This will contain an area of log(n+1/n) which of course goes to 0 as n goes to infinity. Instead of having the left-triangle have one vertex at (0,0), give it a vertex at (xn,0) where xn is so close to 1/(n+1) that the area of the triangle goes to 0:

0.5(n+1)(1/(n+1) - xn)
= 0.5(1 - xn(n+1))

So you want to choose xn such that 0 < xn < 1/(n+1) but such that xn(n+1) -> 1 as n -> infinity. Try xn = (n + 1 + n-1)-1. Do something similar for the right side triangle.

I had a similar idea, only I used fixed end points (that time), but I had the problem that the right leg of the right triagle went above 1/x for certian values of n using the [1/(n+1) , 1/n] interval for the portion under 1/x.

I am thinking that this way too much work without using any theorems, then again, it is a grad class and my prof. tweaked the question from the text. I'll check out your lastest post: thank you very much AKG!

Last edited:
The slope of the 1/x curve at x=1/n is -n². If you are at (1/n,n) going down at a rate of -n², you will hit the x-axis at x=2/n. Choose a point for the right-most point of your right triangle between 1/n and 2/n. You shouldn't be choosing something bigger than 2/n in the first place. I would recommend something like (n - n-1)-1. The area of this triangle would then go to zero as n increases.

nice.

What do you mean "my message is too short"?

1. How do I know if a solution needs to be saved?

If you are working on a project or experiment, it is important to constantly check the stability and effectiveness of your solution. Signs that a solution may need saving include changes in color, odor, or texture, or a decrease in performance.

2. How can I save a solution that is no longer effective?

If your solution is no longer effective, try adjusting the concentration or pH level, or adding stabilizers or preservatives. If these measures do not work, it may be necessary to start over with a new solution.

3. Can I save a solution that has become contaminated?

It depends on the type and severity of contamination. If the contamination is minor and can be removed through filtration or other methods, it may be possible to save the solution. However, if the contamination is significant or harmful, it is best to discard the solution and start over.

4. How should I store a solution to ensure its longevity?

The storage conditions for a solution will depend on its specific properties and ingredients. In general, solutions should be stored in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight and heat sources. It is also important to properly label the solution and store it in a container that is appropriate for its chemical properties.

5. Is it possible to save a solution that has expired?

In most cases, expired solutions should not be used as their effectiveness and stability may have decreased. It is best to dispose of expired solutions and create a fresh batch. However, if the solution is not critical to the experiment or project, it may be possible to test its effectiveness and use it if it still meets the desired specifications.