Determine the distance between the helicopter and the package 2.0 seconds after the rope is cut.

In summary, the problem involves a helicopter holding a 70-kilogram package suspended from a rope 5.0 meters long, accelerating upward at a rate of 5.2 m/s^2. When the upward velocity of the helicopter is 30 meters per second, the rope is cut and the helicopter continues to accelerate upward at 5.2 m/s^2. Using the position equation, the distance between the helicopter and the package after 2 seconds can be found by adding the increase in distance for the helicopter (70.4m) and the decrease in distance for the package (-14.22m), resulting in a total distance difference of 80.62m.
ross the hoss
A helicopter holding a 70-kilogram package suspended from a rop 5.0 meters long accelerates upward at a rate of 5.2 m/s^2. neglect air resistence on the package. When the upward velocity of the helicopter is 30 meters per second, the rope is cut and the helicopter continues to accelerate upward at 5.2 m/s^2. determine the diestance between the helicopter and the package 2.0 seconds after the rope is cut.

somebody please help. i don't understand how to do this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Start by drawing a sketch of the situation at the instant after the rope is cut.

Label the helicopter's velocity and acceleration, the distance between the helicopter and the package, the package's velocity and the forces acting on the package.

Then decide what formulas or laws might be applicable.

can you give us any equations because we have sketched it out but don't know what equations to use.

For the helicopter, since acceleration, initial velocity and position are given, use a position equation.

For the package, the acceleration is g (down), and the same type of equation can be used.

so "x=x_0+v_0t+(1/2)at^2"
this?

That's the one.

help us fill out this equation. is it "x=0+(30)(2)+(1/2)(5.2)(2^2)" is this the equation and we are working to find t^2?

Last edited:
so we did the math for the helicopter and the package and got (after 2 seconds) an increase of 70.4 for the helicopter and an increase of -14.22 for the package so in order to find the distance between them after 2 seconds we added 70.4 and 14.22 and got a total distance difference of 80.62m. is this correct?

seriously people please, tell me if we have the right answer or not

i feel i have followed the rules this time and have given my imput and now want to know if i came to the right solution so if you wouldn't mind letting me know if this solution is right, that would be just wonderful

1. What is the formula for determining distance?

The formula for determining distance is distance = rate x time.

2. How do you calculate the distance between the helicopter and the package?

The distance between the helicopter and the package can be calculated by using the formula distance = rate x time, where time is the time elapsed after the rope is cut and rate is the velocity of the helicopter.

3. What unit of measurement is used for distance?

The unit of measurement used for distance can vary depending on the situation, but typically it is measured in meters or kilometers.

4. How do you determine the rate or velocity of the helicopter?

The rate or velocity of the helicopter can be determined by dividing the distance traveled by the time taken to travel that distance. This can also be calculated using the formula velocity = distance / time.

5. Can the distance between the helicopter and the package change after the rope is cut?

Yes, the distance between the helicopter and the package can change after the rope is cut. This is because the helicopter may continue to move while the package falls due to gravity, causing the distance between them to increase.