Somehow, this equation is funny

• Thread starter JamesU
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Funny
In summary, these equations describe the properties of light, such as its speed and how it interacts with other electromagnetic waves.
JamesU
Gold Member
I don't get it:

AND GOD SAID...
http://www.main.com/~anns/other/humor/equation.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
And god said "Let the magnetic flux through a closed surface be zero." ?

LOL ok i get it now. Let there be light

What's funny in them becomes a brain teaser for me too! :rofl:
Well i would not let God take the credit for what Gauss,Ampere,Faraday did! :biggrin:

gravenewworld said:

i guess it's sound somewhat familiar for Newton!

o ok. That is a bunch of symols to me, half of which I do not understand. ;)

Those are Maxwell's Equations which describe electromagnetic phenomena. Light is an electromagnetic wave.

Somebody is giving God the credit for work done by Maxwell (and Gauss, Faraday, Weber, Helmholtz, Lorentz, Ampere and others) :grumpy:

A shorter version...

It can be whittled down to only 2 equations by applying exterior calculus. :wink:

I doubt Maxwell, et al, would be offended.

I think Maxwell just described the properties of electromagnetic phenomena. I don't think he actually invented electromagnetic waves. :rolleyes:

(Saying Maxwell invented ectromagnetic waves is like saying Gore invented the Internet, just because he initiated legislation that made the Internet possible).

Last edited:
BobG said:
I doubt Maxwell, et al, would be offended.

I think Maxwell just described the properties of electromagnetic phenomena. I don't think he actually invented electromagnetic waves. :rolleyes:

(Saying Maxwell invented ectromagnetic waves is like saying Gore invented the Internet, just because he initiated legislation that made the Internet possible).
He didn't?
Didn't Newton invent universal gravitation either??

How do you think the big dragons could fly unless they were unaffected by gravity, then? :confused:

I see symbols.

gravenewworld said:

I've seen t-shirts with

"And god said
*maxwell eqs here*

and there was light"

During the world championships, in Helsinki?

Fiat rain!

And god said "Let the magnetic flux through a closed surface be zero." ?

LOL what a dumbazz

I had a laminated copy of that hanging on our refrigerator for years, and after that, in my cubicle at work. A fundamentalist christian saw it and was so offended than when I was away from my desk one day she threw it away. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
can anyone basically explain some of those symbols to me?

yomamma said:
can anyone basically explain some of those symbols to me?

Loosely speaking, the first equation says that the sum [integral, an adding up process] of the electric field E over a surface A is equal to the charge q enclosed by that surface. We also use something called the dot product, which selects the part of the field pointing in the same direction as the differential area vector dA. :uhh:

The next one says that the integral of the magnetic field around a path S on the surface A is equal to the electric current flowing through that surface plus any changing electric field inside.

The third equation says that the electric field integrated over a path around a surface is equal to the rate of change of the magnetic flux through that surface.

The last one effectively says that there are no magnetic monopoles.

Last edited:
I don't get it:

AND GOD SAID...

the equations predict the properties of light, speed as well as it's dual nature, universal constant and the "speed limit"

Yomamma,

I am not sure of these eqns, but you are certainly Funny! :biggrin:

1. What makes an equation funny?

There are a few different ways an equation can be considered funny. Some people find humor in the unexpected or nonsensical nature of certain equations, while others may find humor in the clever use of mathematical concepts to create a joke or pun.

2. Can equations be intentionally made funny?

Yes, just like any other form of comedy, equations can be intentionally crafted to be funny. This often involves playing with numbers or symbols to create a humorous effect.

3. Are there any famous funny equations?

Yes, there are several equations that have gained popularity for their comedic value. Some examples include the Drake Equation, which calculates the probability of intelligent life in the universe, and the Schrödinger equation, which is often referenced in jokes regarding quantum mechanics.

4. Is there a scientific explanation for why equations can be funny?

There is no one specific scientific explanation for why equations can be funny, as humor is a complex and subjective concept. Some theories suggest that our brains find humor in the unexpected or absurd, and equations that defy our expectations can trigger a humorous response.

5. Can humor be used in scientific research or education?

Absolutely! Humor can be a powerful tool in engaging students and making complex scientific concepts more approachable. In fact, there are several studies that have shown the benefits of using humor in science education, such as increased motivation and retention of information.