Someone beat me to publishing

• Thread starter handsomecat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Publishing
In summary, someone else publishes results for the same material, they are slightly different, and the discrepancy of your results with that paper can be resolved by trying to reproduce their results.
handsomecat
what do you do if you have unpublished results for certain properties of a certain material, and then

(1) Someone else publishes results for exactly the same thing,
(2) they are slightly different from yours,
(3) the results form part of your PhD thesis?

Physics news on Phys.org
Then try to get your published, citing the paper that was published ahead of yours, and point out the discrepancy of your results with that paper. You should also offer an explanation on why they differ, and maybe your result might be more valid.

The results being part of your Ph.D thesis has no bearing on publication issues.

Zz.

ah thank you!

this sort of thing happens all the time. I remember one of our grads here discovered half way through his first project that some group at Fermilab/MPI was doing the same thing (and was ready to publish). That also came as a surprise to his advisor. He ended up changing/modifying his project.

yeah, so now I must crack my head to see if there's a different angle.

I'm doing calculations, so i should try to see if I can reproduce the results of the other paper by using their inputs.

there should always be some kind of "extension" to the current work that you may explore. if worse come to worst, just treat it as a learning experience. if you can show evidence of your own work, there is nothing wrong in including that work into you thesis

yup yup, thank you!

This happens all the time and sometimes it is even a good thing:wink:
Maybe not for the people doing the work (you in this case) but for science in general. If their results are slightly different from yours, but you are as sure you can be that yours are corrent, then I't say go ahead and publish.
Asumming the other group published their results very recently the no referee will stop you from publishing even in an "good" journal it they think the results are interesting. It is only when you try to publish something that is "well established" that you are in trouble.

In experimental physics this is just how things work and is why you sometimes see two papers with almost identical results getting published in the samme issue of e.g. Nature or Science; if the results are "controversial" it might even help if another group have reached similar results.

Actually, having different results is OK. I often get papers to referee that contradict previous results. If the result is legitimate, then these papers are often published. The authors usually will highlight the discrepancies with previous results. If they don't, I will insist that they do, because this is important to the community to evaluate and to know that there are contradictory results.

While it is very convincing that there are different groups publishing the same result and conclusion at the same time, I find it to be more interesting if there are different results and conclusion on the same thing. :)

Zz.

hehe icic ... oh well, wish it happened some other time ... now i have to spend my easter weekend thinking about the matter ...

1. Why is it important to be the first to publish a scientific discovery?

Being the first to publish a scientific discovery allows for recognition and credit within the scientific community. It also ensures that your findings are not misrepresented or taken credit for by others.

2. What steps can I take to prevent someone from beating me to publishing?

To prevent someone from beating you to publishing, it is important to work efficiently and diligently on your research. Collaborating with other scientists can also help to share the workload and increase the speed of your research.

3. What should I do if someone beats me to publishing my research?

If someone beats you to publishing your research, it is important to first verify that their findings are indeed the same as yours. If they are, you can still publish your research and cite the other publication as a reference. If their findings are different, you can publish your research with a focus on the discrepancies.

4. How can I protect my research from being stolen or copied?

To protect your research from being stolen or copied, it is important to keep your work confidential until it is published. This can include signing non-disclosure agreements with collaborators and only sharing your research findings with trusted individuals.

5. Is it possible to collaborate with someone who has already published similar research?

Yes, it is possible to collaborate with someone who has already published similar research. This can lead to further advancements and validation of your findings. However, it is important to establish clear guidelines and expectations for the collaboration to avoid any conflicts or misunderstandings.