Why Does My COMSOL Model Not Converge at Higher Heat Flux Values?

• Thread starter martingotu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Comsol
In summary, the speaker needs help with COMSOL MULTIPHYSICS and is solving a non isothermal flow model with varying heat flux. They are experiencing difficulty with the solver not converging when the heat flux reaches a certain value and are seeking advice on how to solve the problem. They also mention a previous post where a similar question was answered.
martingotu
I need some help with COMSOL MULTIPHYSICS. I don´t have any experience with FEM analysis. I am solving a non isothermal flow model, and I am varying heat flux that enters in the subdomain through one boundary. I set a value for heat flux, solve it and increase the value to solve the model again setting the current solution as initial value. (analog to use parametric solver but doing it for myself). The question is that when the heat flux reaches a limit value the problem doesn´t converge and I need to solve the problem for a much higher value. I would like to know what is the reason for this and what can I do to get a solution.
If any of you has experience with this software I would like to ask him some doubts.
Thanks for your opinions.
Martin.

Engineering news on Phys.org
This is a duplicate post of this thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=235253

I basically answer your question:

Mech_Engineer said:
Technically speaking, there aren't any fundamental reasons you can't raise the flux past a value before the solver doesn't converge, it's really a case-by-case thing based on the problem being solved...

As a scientist with experience in COMSOL, I can offer some advice and insights on your issue. Firstly, it is important to note that non-isothermal flow models can be complex and challenging to solve, especially if you are new to FEM analysis. It is not uncommon for problems to not converge at certain values, and this can be due to a variety of reasons. It could be that your model is not properly defined, or there could be errors in your boundary conditions or initial values. Additionally, the meshing of your model can also affect convergence.

To troubleshoot this issue, I would recommend checking your model setup and making sure all parameters and equations are correctly defined. You can also try refining your mesh to see if that improves convergence. It may also be helpful to consult with the COMSOL community or reach out to their technical support team for further assistance.

In terms of using a parametric solver, it can be a useful tool for solving a range of values, but it is important to note that it should be used with caution. Sometimes, the results from a parametric solver may not be accurate, and it is always best to manually solve for each value to ensure accuracy.

I am happy to answer any specific questions you may have about COMSOL, but I would also recommend reaching out to the COMSOL community for a wider range of experiences and insights. Overall, my advice would be to carefully review your model setup and seek assistance from the COMSOL team or community to troubleshoot the convergence issue.

1. What is COMSOL and what is it used for?

COMSOL is a multi-physics simulation software used for modeling and simulating physical systems in various fields such as engineering, physics, and chemistry. It allows for the analysis and optimization of complex systems by solving differential equations and providing a visual representation of the results.

2. What are the key features of COMSOL?

Some of the key features of COMSOL include its ability to handle multiple physics phenomena, its user-friendly interface, its extensive library of built-in physics models, and its advanced visualization tools. It also offers the flexibility to customize and add new physics models to fit specific research needs.

3. Who can benefit from using COMSOL?

COMSOL can be beneficial to a wide range of professionals and researchers, including scientists, engineers, and academics. It is commonly used in industries such as aerospace, automotive, biotechnology, and energy for research, product development, and design optimization.

4. How is COMSOL different from other simulation software?

One of the main differences between COMSOL and other simulation software is its ability to handle multiple physical phenomena simultaneously. This allows for more accurate and realistic simulations. Additionally, COMSOL has a user-friendly interface and an extensive library of pre-built physics models, making it accessible to researchers with varying levels of experience.

5. Can COMSOL be used for both academic and industrial purposes?

Yes, COMSOL can be used for both academic and industrial purposes. It is commonly used in research and development for academic purposes, as well as in industries for product design and optimization. It offers a wide range of applications and capabilities, making it useful for a variety of purposes in both academic and industrial settings.