Why does my laser pointer create a weird effect when shined at a ceiling fan?

• Thread starter jhe1984
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Explain
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a laser pointer with multiple modes and how it creates a strange effect when pointed at a rotating ceiling fan. The effect is explained through the concept of persistence of vision, where the afterimage of an object remains for about 1/16 of a second, causing the images to blend together at high speeds. The conversation also suggests a way to test this theory using slow motion or frame-by-frame playback.
jhe1984
Just got a laser pointer w/ 5 modes (arrow, dot, line, etc..).

Anyway, when I shine it up at my ceiling fan, something weird happens. Obviously, every time a blade passes directly over head the image blinks on the blade, then quickly goes back to only being on the ceiling.

But here's the weird part. I'm almost certain that - even though the blades are passing over - the pointer always stays on the ceiling behind the blade (apparently, even when it's on the blade as well [I see two things then]).

You'd think that the cycle would just be simply reversed (the blade lights up and the ceiling's off; the ceiling lights up and the blades off), but as best I can tell, that's not what's happening. If it is happening, it is definitely not as defined as the blade blinking. I've gotten on my bed so I can see the ceiling without looking through the fan and I've come to the same conclusion.

But this doesn't make sense. What's up?

(PS - I've also tried switching angles etc. And since the pointer can project larger images like arrows, it's easier for me to test than if it were only dots.)

Physics news on Phys.org
I think this can be explained through the Persistance of vision. When we view an object, and if suddenly the object is removed, we will sill continue to sense that the object is still there (till about a sixteenth of a second). Hence if the object is repeatly replaced within 1/16 of a second, they seem to 'blend' into each other.
Now to your question. Since the fan is rotating at a vey high speed, the cycles (the blade lights up and the ceiling's off; the ceiling lights up and the blades off) occur in less than 1/16 of a second. Hence the images seem to blend into each other. That is the simple explanation.
If you switch off the fan (and rotate it slowly with your hand), the "Weird part" will not be observed

I think he's right.

Yes, it's almost certainly afterimage.

For a simple test of that, which will undoubtedly prove it correct, just take a brief video of the scene and play it back in slow motion or frame-by-frame. In fact, you can determine your personal persistence of vision duration by varying the playback speed until the dot quits disappearing.

If I am not wrong, our eye can't catch the speed of the movement of the object image. If I am wrong please tell me?

I agree - this is almost certainly persistence of vision - there is no physics reason why this could occur that I can think of. the effect is like the clocks I sometimes see advertised where a single line of leds waves back and forth,. showing the time.

Joe Andersen

Your Guide to Physics: http://physicguide.blogspot.com
Train to end Stroke:
http://myspace.com/traintoendstroke
Cheapskate - group buying discounts: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/cheapskate/
Freecycle - give away and get free stuff: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/freecycleboston/

1. What is the meaning of "Someone please explain this"?

This phrase is often used to request clarification or understanding about a particular topic or concept.

2. Why do people use this phrase?

People use this phrase when they are confused or seeking more information about something.

3. Can you give an example of when someone might say "Someone please explain this"?

Someone might say this when reading a complex scientific article or trying to understand a difficult concept in a lecture.

4. Is it common for scientists to use this phrase?

Yes, scientists often use this phrase when discussing complex ideas with their colleagues or when presenting their research to a wider audience.

5. How can someone effectively explain a complex concept or topic?

Effective explanations often involve breaking down the concept into smaller, more understandable parts and using clear and concise language. Visual aids, such as diagrams or illustrations, can also be helpful in explaining complex ideas.