1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Someone please help me specific heat capacity?

1. Jan 17, 2010 #1
    "What is the specific heat capacity of a 50-gram piece of 100 degree C metal that will change 400 grams of 20 degrees C water to 22 degrees C?

Could someone please explain to me how to do this problem? I have to figure it out on my own because my teacher is no help at all.

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2010 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

The heat lost by the metal is equal to the heat gained by the water.

cwater=4.18 kJ/kgK

4. Jan 17, 2010 #3
    Okay, thank you. That leads me to another question, perhaps a silly one. How do I know when to use the 4.18 value instead of 1 cal/gC for water's specific heat capacity?

5. Jan 17, 2010 #4
    And... since the metal caused the water's temperature to increase by 2 degrees, does the metal's temperature decrease by 2 degrees?

6. Jan 17, 2010 #5

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

it does not matter which one you use, you just need to be consistent with the units.

For example, if you just 4.18 kJ/kgK, you need mass to be in kg and temperature to be in K.

similarly for 1cal/gC, you need mass to be in grams (g) and temperature in C

7. Jan 17, 2010 #6
    Okay. That's what I presumed; that it didn't matter as long as units were consistent. Thank you for your help, though.

Hopefully my last question: is the change in temperature for the metal 2 degrees?

8. Jan 17, 2010 #7

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

I think it should be that the metal and water would have the same final temperature.

9. Jan 17, 2010 #8
    Okay. I cannot believe I didn't realize that before I asked. Haha how embarrassing... anyway, thank you very much for your help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook