Someone me understand this.

• Thread starter NINHARDCOREFAN
  • Start date
In summary, " and nothing before it:In summary, the conversation is about analyzing eigenvalues and a general solution for a problem that is homogenous. The solution includes natural solutions of sine and cosine functions, with the constants c and d representing the private solution. The conversation also discusses the use of exponential functions and the difference between using a positive or negative lambda value inside the square root. The conclusion is that the professor's solution with a positive lambda inside the square root is correct.
NINHARDCOREFAN
[tex] \frac{\partial^2 \phi}{\partial x^2} + \lambda \phi = 0 [/tex]

We have to analyze eigenvalues.

My prof. gave me this answer for [tex]\lambda>0[/tex] it is
[tex]c*sin(\sqrt(\lambda))x+d*cos(\sqrt(\lambda))x[/tex]

Shouldn't it be -[tex]\lambda[/tex] inside the squareroot? If not can someone explain how he got this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The problem you'er presenting is homogenic.
sin and cos are natural solutions for this kind of equations.
pay attention that if you use diff on sin twice, you get -sin.
same goes for cos.
c,d = constants
you need 2 inputs to get the private solution. otherwisw it's a general solution.

I know its a general solution but I don't understand how he got the positive [tex]\lambda[/tex] inside the squareroot.

Looks right to me.. for lambda > 0, the eigenvalue is imaginary.

Yes, it is [tex]\sqrt(\lambda)[/tex] or [tex]sqrt(/lambda))i[/tex]

should be square root of neg lambda in the first.. give me a while to get latex right..

Last edited:
Your prof was right.

If you put a minus sign in the square root, you would have to change the sin and cosine to exponential functions. I.e. [tex]C \exp(\sqrt{-\lambda}x)+D\exp(\sqrt{-\lambda}x).[/tex]

Carl

What does "Someone help me understand this" mean?

"Someone help me understand this" is a request for assistance in comprehending a concept or idea. It could also indicate confusion or frustration with a particular subject or topic.

Why do people often ask "Someone help me understand this" in a scientific context?

In a scientific context, individuals may ask for help understanding a concept because science often involves complex and abstract ideas that can be difficult to grasp without prior knowledge or explanation.

How can someone effectively explain a scientific concept?

In order to effectively explain a scientific concept, it is important to use clear language, provide relevant examples, and break down the concept into smaller, more manageable pieces. Visual aids such as diagrams or models can also be helpful in illustrating complex ideas.

What should I do if I am struggling to understand a scientific concept?

If you are having trouble understanding a scientific concept, it is important to ask questions and seek clarification from a trusted source, such as a teacher or peer. It may also be helpful to do additional research or seek out alternative explanations to aid in your understanding.

Is it okay to ask for help in understanding a scientific concept?

Yes, it is absolutely okay to ask for help in understanding a scientific concept. Science is a collaborative field and seeking assistance can often lead to a deeper understanding and appreciation of the subject matter.