Someone me with this infinite sequence

In summary, the conversation is about finding the expression for the nth term in the sequence 1,1,-1,3,-15,105,-945. The participants discuss the use of factorial and double factorial in finding the formula. Ultimately, the expression (-1)^(n+1) * (2n-3)! is determined to fit the sequence.
pakmingki

Homework Statement

1,1,-1,3,-15,105,-945 ...

find an expression for the nth term

The Attempt at a Solution

I HAVE TO FIND THE PATTERN
Now, i know for a fact that there has to be a factorial in there somewhere, because n starts at 0, and as you can see every term is alternating except for the first 2, which means there has to be some kind of factorial in the formula.

This is in fact a secondary question. I am trying to find a formula for the nth derivative of sqrt(x+1) and knowing the formula for this sequence is crucial to finding the formula for the nth derivative.

So far i have:
there must be some factorial in there
its not an arithmetic sequence
its not a geometric sequence.

PLEASE HELP ME!

Physics news on Phys.org
The symbol you are looking for is n!. It's called a double factorial. It's defined recursively by n!=(n)*(n-2)!. So e.g. 7!=1*3*5*7. Wikipedia actually has a lucid entry on it under Factorial.

hmm, trhat was a good idea, but how do i make it work to fit the sequenece?
ive been trying and i CANNOT get the numbers to fit into the double factorial.

1=1!
3=3!
15=5!
105=7!
945=9!

I'm not quite seeing the problem here.

Maybe you want to write something like (2n-1)!?

hmmmm
but look at the sequence.

When n = 7, the value is 9!
when n = 6, the value is 7!
when n = 5, the value is 5!

Ok, so I would call that (2n-5)!. The sequence is clear. You just have to fit the formula to it.

thanks for your help
but i got it

it's (-1)^(n+1) * (2n-3)!

it doesn't work for 0, but for my purposes, that does not matter to me.

BUt the idea for the double factorial saved my life.

Thanks
i love you

1. What is an infinite sequence?

An infinite sequence is a set of numbers or objects that continues indefinitely without an end. Each element in the sequence follows a specific pattern or rule.

2. How do you represent an infinite sequence?

An infinite sequence can be represented in several ways, such as using a formula, listing out the elements, or using notation. Some commonly used notations include ellipses (…) to indicate a pattern, or using the subscript n to represent the nth term in the sequence.

3. How do you determine the next term in an infinite sequence?

The next term in an infinite sequence can be determined by following the pattern or rule established in the sequence. This can involve basic arithmetic, such as adding or multiplying by a constant, or more complex functions.

4. Can an infinite sequence have a limit?

Yes, an infinite sequence can have a limit, which is the value that the terms in the sequence approach as n (the number of terms) becomes infinitely large. The limit can be a finite number or infinity.

5. Are there different types of infinite sequences?

Yes, there are different types of infinite sequences, such as arithmetic sequences, geometric sequences, and Fibonacci sequences. These sequences have different patterns or rules that determine the next term.