1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Someone please help me with this problem, I am stuck

1. Jun 7, 2007 #1
    here is the question:

A race car driver sets out on a 100-kilometer race. At the quarter-way marker, her pit crew radios that she has averaged only 60 km/hr. How fast must she drive over the remaining distance in order to average 100 km/hr for the entire race?

please help me out, I have been working on this for 2 hrs now, I am stuck?

would I use the average velocity formula? but then I get a screwed up answer like

avg v = 160km/hr / 1.167hr = 137.1 km/hr^2???? can someone please help me out, but then what is 137km/hr^2 in standard units?? I got like .0105m/s^2

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Here's a hint: How much total time does she have to complete the race if she is to average 100 km/hr? How much time has she spent on just the first quarter?

4. Jun 7, 2007 #3
    try using the definiton of average speed which is "total distance/total time"

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?