Is External Energy Loss Essential in Calculating Final Energy?

• Thread starter gunblaze
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, the work done by external forces other than the conservative forces is taken into account when calculating the net work done on a body.
gunblaze
ok.. guyz, I'm not really sure on how I'm going to phrase this qn, so juz hope you guyz out there understands

work done= Change in energy
= Energy(final) - energy(initial)
For this eqn, do you have to add in external energy loss eg: heat n sound energy into your energy final..? or do you juz take account the energy change in the body?

Sry.. not very good at this

Physics news on Phys.org
If there are losses, the net work is
Work = energy(initial) - energy(losses) - energy(final)

SGT said:
If there are losses, the net work is
Work = energy(initial) - energy(losses) - energy(final)

That means that energy losses shouldn't be accounted for work done rite?

just in case you aren't clear yet, this is what I understand from work-energy theorem:
there are many kinds of energy. consider kinetic energy. KE of any point mass of mass 'm' at an instant when its velocity is 'v' is KE=(1/2)mv^2
the outright formula for work, applicable in any case whatsoever, with sound loss, heat loss, etc. is:
Net work done = Final KE - Initial KE
remember that this is the work done by all forces, including dissipative ones. The sign of each work done MUST be taken into account. for eg. if a body of mass m is thrown up through a height h with only gravity acting, the force due to gravity=mg, and it acts downwards, but the displacement h is upwards so the work done is
W=(mg)*(-h)= -mgh
Now, there are 2 kinds of forces. CONSERVATIVE forces are those whose 'works' DO NOT depend on the path of the particle, for example gravity, a fixed charge etc. NON-CONSERVATIVE forces are those whose works DO depend on the path of the particle, for example friction. these forces generally result in heat loss, sound etc. When only conservative forces act on a body, we assign potential energies related to these forces. the total Mechanical energy (ME) of a body is the sum of its kinetic energy and its potential energies due to all the conservative forces. Then the following equation holds:
Net work done by all external forces (other than these conservative forces) = ME(final) - ME(initial)
Let the work done by friction and all the other such dissipative forces be w(nf). Let the net work done on the body due to all other forces be W. So,
W + w(nf) = ME(final) - ME(initial)
therefore, W = ME(final) - w(nf) - ME(initial)
but the work done by the dissipative forces causes a reduction (assumed to be reduction, if I took it as increase, I would simply have some changes in sign in the final formula) in ME of the body, ME(losses).
Thus, w(nf) = ME(losses)
so, the final formula is
W = ME(final) - ME(losses) - ME(initial)
as said before.
IF you wanted to find the NET work done by ALL forces other than those for which you have assigned potential energy(all, including dissipative and non-dissipative), you can write this straight:
W = ME(final) - ME(initial)
If you still don't get it, I recommend the book "Fundamentals of Physics" by Resnick, Halliday and Walker (6th ed) or "Fundamentals of Physics" by Resnick and Halliday(2nd ed).

All formulas must contain all resistance to the energy input.Ergo,resistance of a 'bearing' of a particular motor must be involved along with loads of that motor.
LEAVE NOTHING OUT!

1. What is energy?

Energy is the ability to do work or cause change. It exists in many forms, such as kinetic energy, potential energy, thermal energy, and electromagnetic energy. In simpler terms, energy is what allows objects to move, change, and interact with each other.

2. How is energy measured?

The unit of measurement for energy is the joule (J). Other common units include calories and kilowatt-hours. Energy can also be measured in terms of power, which is the rate at which energy is used or transferred.

3. How does energy relate to the laws of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. The second law of thermodynamics states that in any energy conversion, some energy will be lost as heat. These laws help us understand the flow and conservation of energy in different systems.

4. What are some examples of renewable and non-renewable energy sources?

Renewable energy sources are those that can be replenished, such as solar, wind, hydro, geothermal, and biomass energy. Non-renewable energy sources, on the other hand, cannot be replenished and will eventually run out. Examples include fossil fuels like coal, oil, and natural gas.

5. How can I conserve energy?

There are many ways to conserve energy, such as turning off lights and electronics when not in use, using energy-efficient appliances and light bulbs, and reducing unnecessary energy consumption. Additionally, using renewable energy sources and supporting sustainable practices can also help conserve energy on a larger scale.