1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Someone with a math computer program

1. Feb 21, 2005 #1
    so, this is probably not exactly posted in the right place, but I was wondering if someone could enter a couple of things into a math program for me. I have two simple systems of equations and need the values for them, and unfortunately, don't have mathematica on this computer, and I reallly don't want to try these out with pencil and paper... so without further adiou...

[tex]
    (1-a-b)(1+4x+3y)=a(4-4x-y)=b(2+y)
    [/tex]
    [tex]
    (1-x-y)(1+6a-b)=x(4-2a+8b)=y(6-5a-6b)
    [/tex]

and...

[tex]
    a(1+4x+3y)=b(4-4x-y)
    [/tex]
    [tex]
    x(4a+2b)=y(6a+b)=(1-x-y)(a+7b)
    [/tex]

i need to find the values of a,b,x,y for each set of equations.

(in case you were wondering where these came from, they are the equilibrium probabilites that player A chooses 1,2,3 and player B chooses a,b,c)

thanks a bunch

~tired of number crunching

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2005 #2
    It appears that your equations are overdetermined. You only have 4 unknowns, but you have 7 equations, which either means that 3 of them are redundant, or there is no solution. I don't have a math program either, so I can't verify that statement.

BTW, this really belongs more in the Linear Algebra forum.

4. Feb 22, 2005 #3
    I checked with Mathematica and the solution set is empty.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?