Is Entanglement a Fundamental Property of Photons?

In summary: If photons were just tiny packets of energy, performing an experiment that measured the spin of one photon should not have any effect on the spin of another photon that is light-years away.
Antonio Lao
What I say or do here and now can affect someone somewhere sometime, is this the same as quantum entanglement?

If no one doesn't say or does here and now then nothing will ever happen in the future. Someone can only do or say something only if he or she is alive. But what someone does or says in the past can still be affecting everything in the present. So entanglement is same as causality with a built-in probability.

This probability come about because of reaction from the effect to the cause of the action. When the reaction is equal in intensity to the causal action, the probability of the original action becomes zero. When there is no reaction to any action, the probability of the action becomes 1.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That isn't qunatum entanglement, so don't worry.

Anybody has a good idea what quantum entanglement is all about?

I am still reading the book by Amir D. Aczel on the same topic.

matt grime said:
That isn't qunatum entanglement, so don't worry.

Not that I'm trying to postulate here, but how do we know that they do not have the same underlying forces? We do not understand how quantum entanglement works. The idea of actions in one local space/time having consequences in a seemingly separate space/time defies our explanation of physics entirely. Perhaps the entire system of causality needs reworking.

...then again, perhaps there's an unobservable particle that has infinite velocity which transmits the information between the entangled particles, and no further relationships can be deduced.

Quantum entanglement states , if I remember the brief article I read about it, that if two quantum particles interact, then their future states are linked, or words to that effect. So the original idea that, say, if Antonio says 'apples are red' affects the outcome of the US elections in November isn't the same situation. Entanglement isn't about what 'can' happen it explains what does happen (though I can't explain why *it* happens).

Distance is not a factor in a quantum entanglement interaction. Therefore the spacetime structure has its space components equal to zero. The time component can also be shown to be zero. This implies that entangled events only happens at the singularity (the birth of the universe) and this only happens once for our particular universe. All photons were entangled at the beginning of time and all things were also entangled at that time.

For a complete description of entanglement, the properties of polarization, spin, momentum (mass and velocity), position, direction of propagation, and other unique properties of a quantum particle must all be accounted for.

Just finished reading a book on entanglement. Entanglement, as I undestood it, implies a property of "no choice." This choice is the state of the entangled objects. If someone perform an experiment to find the spin of an entangled photon, the expeimenter can choose an arbitrary direction for this particular experiment but cannot choose the outcome for the state that the photon will take. Once the photon takes a state of spin, the other entangled photon (light-years away) instantly takes the "opposite" state of spin.

The reality of entanglement seems to indirectly imply the compositeness of photons.

1. What is entanglement?

Entanglement is a phenomenon in quantum physics where two or more particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle is dependent on the state of the other, even when they are separated by large distances.

2. How does entanglement work?

Entanglement works by creating a pair of particles that have opposite or complementary quantum states. These particles are then separated, but their states remain connected. When one particle's state is measured, the other particle's state will be instantly determined, regardless of the distance between them.

3. What is the significance of entanglement?

Entanglement is significant because it challenges our understanding of reality and the fundamental laws of physics. It also has the potential to be used in technologies such as quantum computing and cryptography.

4. Can entanglement be observed in everyday life?

No, entanglement is a phenomenon that is only observed at the quantum level. It is not something that can be observed or experienced in everyday life.

5. How is entanglement being studied and researched?

Entanglement is being studied and researched through various experiments and theoretical models in the field of quantum physics. Scientists are also exploring potential applications for entanglement, such as quantum teleportation and secure communication.