1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Something about vector fields

1. Jun 16, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This problem is in Introduction to Eletrodynamics, of Griffiths, 3rd edition, p.20, problem 1.19. He asks a vector function v(x,y,z), other than the constant, that has:
    [itex]\nabla\cdot\vec{v}=0 \mbox{ and } \nabla\times\vec{v}=0[/itex]

2. Relevant equations
    I hope you know them.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried to force the divergence to be zero, using [itex]\vec{v}[/itex], like this: [itex]\vec{v}=v_x(y,z)\hat{x}+v_y(x,z)\hat{y}+v_z(x,y) \hat{z}[/itex]
    then i solved for the curl of v to be zero and this gave me 3 partial diferencial equations, and so I stoped and decided to get help. Some ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2011 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

One convenient fact that probably will help you is the fact that [itex]\nabla \times (\nabla f(\vec{x})) = 0[/itex].

Let [itex]\vec{v} = \nabla f(\vec{x})[/itex] and your second requirement is automatically satisfied. Then you just need to determine what 'f' is based on the first requirement.

4. Jun 16, 2011 #3

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Another suggestion -- look for a 2D field F = <u(x,y),v(x,y),0> and think about the Cauchy Riemann equations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook