Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Something cool I found

1. Nov 21, 2009 #1

This is Beethoven's 5th, but with a catch - it's depicted using bar graphs. It shows what instruments are playing and generates an animation to go along with the music. The colors correspond to the instruments and the level of the bar to different notes. The user has even given instructions on the side to make your own.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2009 #2
    Pretty cool. I like it! :-)

4. Nov 21, 2009 #3
    Way cool. But the noise in the background kind of ruins it.

5. Nov 21, 2009 #4
    nice, looks like cellular automata.

6. Nov 21, 2009 #5

zcd

Isnt that how midi files are mapped to begin with?

7. Nov 21, 2009 #6

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Both my boys, 4 and 6, watched through this twice. They tried to pick out which colors were which instruments.

8. Nov 21, 2009 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think reds, pinks, oranges are strings. Blues and greens are brass and woodwind. That's as much as I could pick out on a single pass through since there are very few parts where instruments play solo. I think piccolos are all the way at the top. It seems to be arranged in order of pitch range, with highest pitch instruments on the top, and lowest at the bottom, so that would probably help in figuring them all out.

9. Nov 21, 2009 #8
    Yeah these things are cool, used to watch them before when I got bored painting, you can make your own too... I think theres like a site or a program for it(never did it myself).
    I'd rather listen to Bach though :)

10. Nov 21, 2009 #9

Borek

Staff: Mentor

In early nineties I used Gravis Ultrasound sound card - one of the programs that came with the card was a MIDI player that show this kind of output.

11. Nov 21, 2009 #10
    Beethoven's visuals while deaf?

12. Nov 21, 2009 #11
    There's a link on the youtube page posted by anirudh215:

http://www.musanim.com/pdf/Instruments_B5.pdf

Its a one page pdf created by the guy who produced the video which shows the instruments and their colors... I like to watch for the timpani (gray) at ~04:20

13. Nov 21, 2009 #12

Pythagorean

Gold Member

10x better than any of those windows media type visualizers for music. It actually goes with the music in a consistent and logical way.

14. Nov 21, 2009 #13
    Bach?? Don't kid yourself. Mozart is the only way to go. :tongue:

Getting back to the video though. How does the computer map every note to the instrument? Perhaps it does Fourier Transforms then maps the fundamental harmonics to the respective instrument?

15. Nov 22, 2009 #14

fuzzyfelt

Gold Member

Thanks, it is really nice to picture it like that.

16. Nov 22, 2009 #15

Borek

Staff: Mentor

As I wrote before - it simply uses information from MIDI file. Nothing more fancy, but someone patiently entered musical score into MIDI format.

MIDI message (or event, I don't remember how they are called) has three types of information - time, on or off, instrument, pitch. Eons ago I coded my own MIDI player, it is not a rocket scienece. And every MIDI player when working has all information needed to generate such a video.

Besides, I am too lazy to check, but I won't be surprised if the instruments in the video are sorted just by the standard instrument codes (something like these listed here: http://midistudio.com/Help/GMSpecs_Patches.htm).

Zero magic for me.

17. Nov 22, 2009 #16
    Checked it out.... pretty cool!!

18. Nov 22, 2009 #17

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Very nice. It would be great if you could see every song this way.

19. Nov 22, 2009 #18
    I think Mozart is overrated, as far as classical music goes, I would say that Beethoven is the best.

20. Nov 22, 2009 #19
    Tchaikovsky gets little credit for his magnificence.

21. Nov 22, 2009 #20

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I DO :bugeye:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook