Beethoven's 5th as Bar Graph Animation with Instructions

• Thread starter WiFO215
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cool
In summary, the video depicts a conversation between an expert summarizer and another person about a visual representation of music. The video features bar graphs that show what instruments are playing, as well as an animation to go along with the music. The colors correspond to the instruments and the level of the bar to different notes. The user has even given instructions on the side to make your own. Pretty cool.
WiFO215

This is Beethoven's 5th, but with a catch - it's depicted using bar graphs. It shows what instruments are playing and generates an animation to go along with the music. The colors correspond to the instruments and the level of the bar to different notes. The user has even given instructions on the side to make your own.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Pretty cool. I like it! :-)

Way cool. But the noise in the background kind of ruins it.

nice, looks like cellular automata.

Isnt that how midi files are mapped to begin with?

Both my boys, 4 and 6, watched through this twice. They tried to pick out which colors were which instruments.

Chi Meson said:
Both my boys, 4 and 6, watched through this twice. They tried to pick out which colors were which instruments.

I think reds, pinks, oranges are strings. Blues and greens are brass and woodwind. That's as much as I could pick out on a single pass through since there are very few parts where instruments play solo. I think piccolos are all the way at the top. It seems to be arranged in order of pitch range, with highest pitch instruments on the top, and lowest at the bottom, so that would probably help in figuring them all out.

Yeah these things are cool, used to watch them before when I got bored painting, you can make your own too... I think there's like a site or a program for it(never did it myself).
I'd rather listen to Bach though :)

In early nineties I used Gravis Ultrasound sound card - one of the programs that came with the card was a MIDI player that show this kind of output.

Beethoven's visuals while deaf?

Chi Meson said:

There's a link on the youtube page posted by anirudh215:

http://www.musanim.com/pdf/Instruments_B5.pdf

Its a one page pdf created by the guy who produced the video which shows the instruments and their colors... I like to watch for the timpani (gray) at ~04:20

10x better than any of those windows media type visualizers for music. It actually goes with the music in a consistent and logical way.

Sorry! said:
Yeah these things are cool, used to watch them before when I got bored painting, you can make your own too... I think there's like a site or a program for it(never did it myself).
I'd rather listen to Bach though :)

Bach?? Don't kid yourself. Mozart is the only way to go. :tongue:

Getting back to the video though. How does the computer map every note to the instrument? Perhaps it does Fourier Transforms then maps the fundamental harmonics to the respective instrument?

Thanks, it is really nice to picture it like that.

anirudh215 said:
Getting back to the video though. How does the computer map every note to the instrument? Perhaps it does Fourier Transforms then maps the fundamental harmonics to the respective instrument?

As I wrote before - it simply uses information from MIDI file. Nothing more fancy, but someone patiently entered musical score into MIDI format.

MIDI message (or event, I don't remember how they are called) has three types of information - time, on or off, instrument, pitch. Eons ago I coded my own MIDI player, it is not a rocket scienece. And every MIDI player when working has all information needed to generate such a video.

Besides, I am too lazy to check, but I won't be surprised if the instruments in the video are sorted just by the standard instrument codes (something like these listed here: http://midistudio.com/Help/GMSpecs_Patches.htm).

Zero magic for me.

Checked it out... pretty cool!

Very nice. It would be great if you could see every song this way.

anirudh215 said:
Bach?? Don't kid yourself. Mozart is the only way to go. :tongue:

I think Mozart is overrated, as far as classical music goes, I would say that Beethoven is the best.

Tchaikovsky gets little credit for his magnificence.

Borg said:
Very nice. It would be great if you could see every song this way.

I DO :bugeye:

1. What is "Beethoven's 5th as Bar Graph Animation with Instructions"?

"Beethoven's 5th as Bar Graph Animation with Instructions" is a visual representation of Beethoven's famous 5th symphony using a bar graph animation. It includes instructions on how to create the animation using coding techniques.

2. How does the bar graph animation represent Beethoven's 5th?

The bar graph animation uses the frequency of notes in the symphony to create a visual representation. Each note is represented by a bar, and the height of the bar corresponds to the frequency of that note in the symphony. This allows the viewer to see the pattern and structure of the symphony in a unique way.

3. What coding techniques are used to create the bar graph animation?

The bar graph animation can be created using any programming language that allows for the manipulation of graphics. This could include languages such as JavaScript, Python, or Java. The animation is created by mapping the frequency of notes to bar heights and then using a loop to animate the bars.

4. Can anyone create the bar graph animation or is coding experience required?

While some coding experience may be helpful, the instructions provided in "Beethoven's 5th as Bar Graph Animation with Instructions" are designed to be beginner-friendly. With a basic understanding of coding concepts, anyone should be able to follow the instructions and create the bar graph animation.

5. Are there any variations of the bar graph animation for other musical pieces?

Yes, the same concept of mapping frequency to bar heights can be applied to other musical pieces. You can use the instructions provided in "Beethoven's 5th as Bar Graph Animation with Instructions" as a guide and make adjustments to fit the specific piece you want to visualize.