Something i must share before i go mad

• Thread starter zanazzi78
  • Start date
In summary, this morning I had to go into hospital, as an out patient, for the first time (well technically the second if you include my birth but hen I wasn’t really an out patient). I underwent a procedure called a cystoscopy! Now for all you who are unfamiliar with this let me explain (oh if your male and squeamish you better stop reading now!) The procedure began with a nurse cleaning my genitalia, then the physician inserts a small plastic syringe into the tip of the penis :bugeye: and injects an anaesthetic gel to numb the area. Unpleasant but hey I could deal with that! Then the truly
zanazzi78
Something i must share before i go mad!

Well today has been the most undignified day of my young(ish) life!

This morning I had to go into hospital, as an out patient, for the first time (well technically the second if you include my birth but hen I wasn’t really an out patient).

I underwent a procedure called a cystoscopy! Now for all you who are unfamiliar with this let me explain (oh if your male and squeamish you better stop reading now!)

The procedure began with a nurse cleaning my genitalia, then the physician inserts a small plastic syringe into the tip of the penis :bugeye: and injects an anaesthetic gel to numb the area. Unpleasant but hey I could deal with that! Then the truly unpleasant part; they take a fiberoptic camera and put the whole bloody thing in! OOOOOWWWWWWWWWWCCCCCCCHHHHHHHHH (Why they use the gel I couldn’t work out, at the time!)
[edit; I forgot to say the camera is approximately 5-8 mm in diameter double OOOOOWWWWWWWWWWCCCCCCCHHHHHHHHH ]
They then proceed to fill your bladder with saline, now this is an unusual sensation but was kinda pleasant after the previous two shocks.

The looking around the bladder part isn’t too bad, it scratches a little and did cause me to flinch now and again. Once the doc( :devil: ) had a good look he asked me if I minded if his junior doctor “could having a practice with the ‘scope”, “no not at all” I replied “after all this can’t get any more unpleasant”. Then I notice the junior doc, and my god she was soooooo fit :!) I wished I could have crawled under a rock it stead of having one! (no I didn’t really get it up after all there was a camera impeding my ability! But under normal conditions ... i.e. a hot chick that close to that area! … :wink: )

So there you have it, the removal of the camera wasn’t that bad, but the whole thing was very painful and embarrassing to boot.

So off I trundle to post op were the nurse explains that for the next two days I must drink and obscene amount of fluid to flush the system out to prevent infection, so here I am sat at my pc writing this to get it off my chest and as I’m doing it the anaesthetic gel is starting to wear off, I now know why they used in the first place, having a piss is like peeing pure chilly oil! :cry: The pain is getting worst and it’s all I can do try and block it out!

Sorry for dumping such an unpleasant story but it needs to be said for my own sanity!

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh man, my condolences. :yuck: Hope you're up and feeling yourself again real soon. :wink:

I'm sorry to hear that.

But look on the bright side. At least you weren't diagnosed with something.

A delightful irony is that cystoscopy is one of those modern, much-hailed "non-invasive" procedures used in medicine..:biggrin:

Thanks for sharing that zanazzi, I think this board needs more such anecdotes to make others realize how much worse things could be!

So, this junior doc eh...

Berislav said:
I'm sorry to hear that.

But look on the bright side. At least you weren't diagnosed with something.

The mystery remains!

I wish they had found something, the ruling out of a tear in the bladder increases the chance that the bleeding is caused by prostate cancer! but i`m looking on the bright side :smile:

You know i`d like to meet the guy/gal that invented the camera used, for some reason he/she decided NOT to make it smooth!

Sorry, zanazzi. :frown: I've had hot doctors do embarrassing things to me, but I don't have the necessary equipment to really feel your pain.
I hope you're up and feeling yourself again real soon too. :wink:

zanazzi78 said:
The mystery remains!

I wish they had found something, the ruling out of a tear in the bladder increases the chance that the bleeding is caused by prostate cancer! but i`m looking on the bright side :smile:

Well, since we are trying to look on our bright side and trying to add humor to all this, I just want to comment on one thing...

zanazzi78 said:
This morning I had to go into hospital, as an out patient, for the first time (well technically the second if you include my birth but hen I wasn’t really an out patient).

Actually, you WERE an OUT patient during your birth! That's the whole point of your mother giving birth to you, to get you OUT! :)

<OK, OK... insert groan here if you have to!>

Zz.

Last edited:
ZapperZ said:
Actually, you WERE and OUT patient during your birth! That's the whole point of your mother giving birth to you, to get you OUT! :)

<OK, OK... insert groan here if you have to!>

Zz.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

thanx

You should not be embarassed. Afterall, they are medical professionals.

As for recovery, see if you can find "Cranberry juice", which is quite common in the US. It contains benzoates which a good for preventing infection.

Cranberry Juice - a surprisingly scientific folk remedy
Cranberry Juice for Urinary Tract Health Liquid or Concentrated Capsules Once again, researchers have found scientific evidence to support the use of a well-known folk remedy: cranberry juice. Cranberry juice, used for years and recommended by many doctors for patients with recurrent urinary tract infections, has now been shown to be effective in several clinical trials on patients with active and recurring urinary tract infections.(l-10) In one study, 16 ounces of cranberry juice daily was shown to produce beneficial effects in 73% of the subjects (44 females and 16 males) with active urinary tract infections. Furthermore, withdrawal of the cranberry juice in the people who benefitted, resulted in recurrence of bladder infection in 61%.(1,8)
http://www.nutrimed.com/news_uti.html

I don't endorse the claims in the above site, but others (including my doctor) have confirmed the benefits of cranberry juice.

Also see - http://www.thecranberrylady.com/nutritional/research.html of Cranberry Juice

Last edited by a moderator:
Oo, cranberry juice, yum!

Get down to Tesco and buy a 4-pack of Ocean Spray, zan!

I love cranbery juice if i could actually walk without winching i may just do that

oooowwwwcccchhhh ! :eek:

you were violated. sue.

mapper said:
you were violated. sue.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Tsu :biggrin:

aww sorry your in discomfort, and hope your test was negative.

zanazzi78 said:
Well today has been the most undignified day of my young(ish) life!

I underwent a procedure called a cystoscopy! Now for all you who are unfamiliar with this let me explain (oh if your male and squeamish you better stop reading now!)

The procedure began with a nurse cleaning my genitalia, then the physician inserts a small plastic syringe into the tip of the penis :bugeye: and injects an anaesthetic gel to numb the area. Unpleasant but hey I could deal with that! Then the truly unpleasant part; they take a fiberoptic camera and put the whole bloody thing in! OOOOOWWWWWWWWWWCCCCCCCHHHHHHHHH (Why they use the gel I couldn’t work out, at the time!)
[edit; I forgot to say the camera is approximately 5-8 mm in diameter double OOOOOWWWWWWWWWWCCCCCCCHHHHHHHHH ]
They then proceed to fill your bladder with saline, now this is an unusual sensation but was kinda pleasant after the previous two shocks.

The looking around the bladder part isn’t too bad, it scratches a little and did cause me to flinch now and again. Once the doc( :devil: ) had a good look he asked me if I minded if his junior doctor “could having a practice with the ‘scope”, “no not at all” I replied “after all this can’t get any more unpleasant”. Then I notice the junior doc, and my god she was soooooo fit :!) I wished I could have crawled under a rock it stead of having one! (no I didn’t really get it up after all there was a camera impeding my ability! But under normal conditions ... i.e. a hot chick that close to that area! … :wink: )

So there you have it, the removal of the camera wasn’t that bad, but the whole thing was very painful and embarrassing to boot.

So off I trundle to post op were the nurse explains that for the next two days I must drink and obscene amount of fluid to flush the system out to prevent infection, so here I am sat at my pc writing this to get it off my chest and as I’m doing it the anaesthetic gel is starting to wear off, I now know why they used in the first place, having a piss is like peeing pure chilly oil! :cry: The pain is getting worst and it’s all I can do try and block it out!

Sorry for dumping such an unpleasant story but it needs to be said for my own sanity!

I just found out I have a cytoscopy fetish. The saline part, oh so sexy.

zanazzi78 said:
The procedure began with a nurse cleaning my genitalia,

Was the nurse as attractive as the junior doctor? That might just about make the experience worth it.

I'm sorry to hear that :(
Just as a heads up- I'm not sure some of the methods for diagnosing that are much better than what you went through. The phrase 'It felt like a bloody tree trunk up there' is one that I've heard before.

I had one of those done when I was a kid. It was terrible.
I think that ladies tend to go through at least as much on a regular basis when they go see the ObGyn.

1. What is "Something I Must Share Before I Go Mad" about?

"Something I Must Share Before I Go Mad" is a personal account of the author's struggles with mental health and their journey towards finding peace and understanding. It delves into topics such as anxiety, depression, and self-discovery.

2. Is this book based on a true story?

Yes, "Something I Must Share Before I Go Mad" is based on the author's own experiences and reflections on their mental health journey. However, the names and some details may have been changed for privacy reasons.

3. Who is the target audience for this book?

This book is primarily targeted towards individuals who are struggling with mental health issues and looking for a relatable and inspiring story. However, anyone who is interested in learning more about mental health and self-discovery may also find value in reading it.

4. What can readers expect to gain from reading this book?

Readers can expect to gain a better understanding of mental health and the struggles that come with it. They may also find comfort and inspiration in the author's journey towards self-discovery and acceptance. Additionally, the book offers insights and tips for coping with mental health issues.

5. Is "Something I Must Share Before I Go Mad" a self-help book?

No, this book is not a traditional self-help book. While it offers personal insights and reflections, it is primarily a memoir and does not provide specific advice or techniques for managing mental health. However, readers may still find it helpful and relatable in their own journeys.