Something in the Beer?

1. Something in the Beer!?!

Last night I went to a local 'Beer Fest' where vendors were promoting their products. Of course I helped myself to a healthy portion of the libations that were offered. While trying one of the brews I was having a conversation with a friend of mine who is a distributor for a small brewing company that makes a fine beer BTW. On his table they had spread out some freshly dried hops for people to inspect. Upon his prompting, I squeezed one of the 'flowers' and smelled it. The petals were sticky and the aroma was fantastic. I commented to him how it smelled like another plant that people like to imbibe and then he proceeds to tell me that hops are in the family as this other plant! :biggrin::surprised :biggrin: He also tells me that apparently hops contains a small amount of THC(>2%). Of course being somewhat skeptical, I looked it up and according to wikipedia hops belongs to the family: Cannabaceae! Even though I have not found evidence that hops contains THC, it really got me thinking that perhaps it does considering that it is in the same family a cannabis. Perhaps this explains why I get hungry when I have a beer!?! :rofl:

So what do you guys think about this little factoid I discovered last night? If it does contain the dreaded devil chemical, should it be outlawed??? What does that say about beer drinkers?

2. jcsd
  3. Evo

Staff: Mentor

Hops do not contain THC, they do, however, contain Lupulin, which is used for bittering and aroma in beer. Lupulin is also considered a very mild sedative.

4. I don't know Evo, this person is pretty reliable when it comes to doing his research. He used to be the plant engineer at an optics research faciltiy before he went into brewing. There was also a girl who was an was degreed in environmental science that concurred this, so until I check their sources it is up in the air for me! I have found some web pages that do say that hops do not contain THC but considering the person who made that statement last night, I have doubts as to the the validity of those findings. Like I said, he claimed it was a very small amount. Of course that was a small ongoing joke for the evening! :biggrin:

The wikipedia article mentioned Lupulin but nothing about THC!

5. Astronuc

Reading the article on Cannabaceae, one sees that the hop vine is Humulus lupulus, and not from the genus Cannabis, as in Cannabis sativa.

Humulus lupulus plants contain -
    Under the topic of herbal use, the article states
    The humulus plants does not contain cannabanoids, e.g. THC, which are found in Cannabis sativa.

6. I feel it,they gonna ban beer now :cry:

7. dextercioby

dextercioby 12,294
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Over my dead buddy!!! :devil:

Daniel.

8. cronxeh

cronxeh 1,232
    Gold Member

hehehe.. physics talk and beer go hand in hand :rofl:

9. Moonbear

Moonbear 12,265
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You guys are making me want a beer now and I don't have any! :cry:

10. Hey Dextercioby ! you guys in Belgium have some fine beers.Mmmmmm Beer :tongue2:

11. Astronuc

Great Belgian Beers

Chimay Rouge, Pères Trappistes
    Chimay Bleu, Pères Trappistes
    Trappistes Rochefort 10
    Westmalle

12. I just popped open a harp for ya moonie! :biggrin:

MMMMMM, tasty with chocolate donuts! MMMMM!:tongue2:

13. Moonbear

Moonbear 12,265
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

*takes Harp from polyb* Glug glug glug. Mmmmmmm, Harp. Mmmmmmmm, donuts. :biggrin: That reminds me of the beer and donut hour we used to have on Fridays. It started out as donut hour, but nobody came, then they made it beer and donut hour, and everyone showed up, and then they realized nobody was eating the donuts, so just made it beer hour. :approve:

14. But beer goes great with chocolate donuts or chocolate chip cookies! :biggrin:

What were your colleuges thinking?:rofl:

15. Moonbear

Moonbear 12,265
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't think beer goes well with anything sweet. I prefer the salty snacks with my beer. What can I say, I'm old fashioned, I want peanuts with my beer. :biggrin:

16. When drinking beer I usually smoke,and only after last bottle is finished i procede towards refrigerator to check for food.

17. Astronuc

As an undergraduate, Friday was beer and pizza night. The beer drinking lasted much longer than the pizza.

I think some beers, like Guinness go well with sweets, but beer and donuts - I'll have to try that.

18. iansmith

iansmith 1,430
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hop is part of the family Cannabinaceae which include the Cannabis and Humulus genus. So it is related.

The smell of hops is similar to Cannabis smell and apperance when fresh. You should see the look on people face when you tell them it is not cannabis.

There no THC in hops but it has lupine which is chemical product that is related to THC

19. Moonbear

Moonbear 12,265
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In grad school we had a beer and pizza hour on Fridays too...well, it usually did last more than an hour. There was an old desk we used as a table, and we opened the drawer in it one day to discover we were certainly not the first to have beer hour...the entire drawer was filled with bottle caps! :rofl:

20. By all means, try it! I just discovered that one last night! I highly reccomend chocolate doughnuts! Mmmmmm, beer and chocolate doughnuts. A feast worthy of Homer!

As for the thc in hops, I'll have to wait until I can correspond with my friend to confirm that one. I have little reason to suspect he was lying or misinformed. Once I find out I'll pass it along! :biggrin:

21. Evo

He is either misinformed or was pulling your leg. All sources say no THC in hops. If there was, some source would say so.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook