Did You Know Hops Belong to the Same Family as Cannabis? Does Beer Contain THC?

• Thread starter polyb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Beer
In summary, Daniel was explaining to Dexter that hops are in the same family as cannabis and maybe this explains why some people get hungry after drinking beer. He also mentioned that there is a small amount of THC in hops. He mentioned that there are some web pages that say that hops does not contain THC, but he has doubts because the person who made the statement last night is reliable. He also mentioned that beer goes great with chocolate donuts or chocolate chip cookies.
polyb
Something in the Beer?

Last night I went to a local 'Beer Fest' where vendors were promoting their products. Of course I helped myself to a healthy portion of the libations that were offered. While trying one of the brews I was having a conversation with a friend of mine who is a distributor for a small brewing company that makes a fine beer BTW. On his table they had spread out some freshly dried hops for people to inspect. Upon his prompting, I squeezed one of the 'flowers' and smelled it. The petals were sticky and the aroma was fantastic. I commented to him how it smelled like another plant that people like to imbibe and then he proceeds to tell me that hops are in the family as this other plant! :biggrin: :biggrin: He also tells me that apparently hops contains a small amount of THC(>2%). Of course being somewhat skeptical, I looked it up and according to wikipedia hops belongs to the family: Cannabaceae! Even though I have not found evidence that hops contains THC, it really got me thinking that perhaps it does considering that it is in the same family a cannabis. Perhaps this explains why I get hungry when I have a beer? :rofl:

So what do you guys think about this little factoid I discovered last night? If it does contain the dreaded devil chemical, should it be outlawed? What does that say about beer drinkers?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hops do not contain THC, they do, however, contain Lupulin, which is used for bittering and aroma in beer. Lupulin is also considered a very mild sedative.

I don't know Evo, this person is pretty reliable when it comes to doing his research. He used to be the plant engineer at an optics research faciltiy before he went into brewing. There was also a girl who was an was degreed in environmental science that concurred this, so until I check their sources it is up in the air for me! I have found some web pages that do say that hops do not contain THC but considering the person who made that statement last night, I have doubts as to the the validity of those findings. Like I said, he claimed it was a very small amount. Of course that was a small ongoing joke for the evening! :biggrin:

The wikipedia article mentioned Lupulin but nothing about THC!

Reading the article on Cannabaceae, one sees that the hop vine is Humulus lupulus, and not from the genus Cannabis, as in Cannabis sativa.

Humulus lupulus plants contain -
high amounts of the hop oil humulene and low amounts of alpha acid cohumulone, and impart an elegant, refined taste and aroma to beers containing them.
Under the topic of herbal use, the article states
Dried female buds are known to have high content of methylbutenol, which has a calming effect on the central nervous system. Possible uses are for insomnia, tensions and anxiety. If one has trouble getting sleep, hop tea before going to bed may help. Hops' antibacterial qualities stimulate gastric juice production. The medically active ingredients in Hops are humulene and lupulene.

The humulus plants does not contain cannabanoids, e.g. THC, which are found in Cannabis sativa.

I feel it,they going to ban beer now :cry:

spender said:
I feel it,they going to ban beer now :cry:

Over my dead buddy! :devil:

Daniel.

hehehe.. physics talk and beer go hand in hand :rofl:

dextercioby said:

Daniel.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You guys are making me want a beer now and I don't have any! :cry:

dextercioby said:

Daniel.

Hey Dextercioby ! you guys in Belgium have some fine beers.Mmmmmm Beer :tongue2:

Great Belgian Beers

Chimay Rouge, Pères Trappistes
Chimay Bleu, Pères Trappistes
Trappistes Rochefort 10
Westmalle

Moonbear said:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You guys are making me want a beer now and I don't have any! :cry:

I just popped open a harp for you moonie! :biggrin:

MMMMMM, tasty with chocolate donuts! MMMMM!:tongue2:

*takes Harp from polyb* Glug glug glug. Mmmmmmm, Harp. Mmmmmmmm, donuts. :biggrin: That reminds me of the beer and donut hour we used to have on Fridays. It started out as donut hour, but nobody came, then they made it beer and donut hour, and everyone showed up, and then they realized nobody was eating the donuts, so just made it beer hour. :approve:

But beer goes great with chocolate donuts or chocolate chip cookies! :biggrin:

What were your colleuges thinking?:rofl:

polyb said:
But beer goes great with chocolate donuts or chocolate chip cookies! :biggrin:

What were your colleuges thinking?:rofl:

I don't think beer goes well with anything sweet. I prefer the salty snacks with my beer. What can I say, I'm old fashioned, I want peanuts with my beer. :biggrin:

When drinking beer I usually smoke,and only after last bottle is finished i procede towards refrigerator to check for food.

Moonbear said:
That reminds me of the beer and donut hour we used to have on Fridays. It started out as donut hour, but nobody came, then they made it beer and donut hour, and everyone showed up, and then they realized nobody was eating the donuts, so just made it beer hour. :approve:
As an undergraduate, Friday was beer and pizza night. The beer drinking lasted much longer than the pizza.

I think some beers, like Guinness go well with sweets, but beer and donuts - I'll have to try that.

Astronuc said:
Reading the article on Cannabaceae, one sees that the hop vine is Humulus lupulus, and not from the genus Cannabis, as in Cannabis sativa.

Hop is part of the family Cannabinaceae which include the Cannabis and Humulus genus. So it is related.

The smell of hops is similar to Cannabis smell and apperance when fresh. You should see the look on people face when you tell them it is not cannabis.

There no THC in hops but it has lupine which is chemical product that is related to THC

Astronuc said:
As an undergraduate, Friday was beer and pizza night. The beer drinking lasted much longer than the pizza.

I think some beers, like Guinness go well with sweets, but beer and donuts - I'll have to try that.

In grad school we had a beer and pizza hour on Fridays too...well, it usually did last more than an hour. There was an old desk we used as a table, and we opened the drawer in it one day to discover we were certainly not the first to have beer hour...the entire drawer was filled with bottle caps! :rofl:

Astronuc said:

By all means, try it! I just discovered that one last night! I highly reccomend chocolate doughnuts! Mmmmmm, beer and chocolate doughnuts. A feast worthy of Homer!

As for the thc in hops, I'll have to wait until I can correspond with my friend to confirm that one. I have little reason to suspect he was lying or misinformed. Once I find out I'll pass it along! :biggrin:

polyb said:
As for the thc in hops, I'll have to wait until I can correspond with my friend to confirm that one. I have little reason to suspect he was lying or misinformed. Once I find out I'll pass it along! :biggrin:
He is either misinformed or was pulling your leg. All sources say no THC in hops. If there was, some source would say so.

Evo said:
He is either misinformed or was pulling your leg. All sources say no THC in hops. If there was, some source would say so.

He told me that is was a very small amount and he was serious. He would have told me otherwise. Of course I can be a sucker! :cry:

Beer, wings and pizza. :)

...and nachos, steak...

polyb said:
By all means, try it! I just discovered that one last night! I highly reccomend chocolate doughnuts! Mmmmmm, beer and chocolate doughnuts. A feast worthy of Homer!
This, as well as other side effects such as becoming drowsy, is a common symptom of Cannabinaceae Confusion. Especially if large quantities are consumed! :smile: (But the next time I experience this rare and often misdiagnosed disease, I'll try your suggested combination.)

Last edited:

1. Is it true that hops belong to the same family as cannabis?

Yes, hops (Humulus lupulus) and cannabis (Cannabis sativa) both belong to the Cannabaceae family. They share similar physical characteristics and both produce compounds called cannabinoids.

2. What are cannabinoids and how do they relate to hops and cannabis?

Cannabinoids are chemical compounds found in both hops and cannabis. The most well-known cannabinoid is tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), which is responsible for the psychoactive effects of cannabis. Hops also produce their own cannabinoids, such as humulene and lupulone, which give beer its distinct flavor and aroma.

3. Does beer contain THC?

No, beer does not contain THC. While hops and cannabis both produce cannabinoids, the levels and types of cannabinoids present in hops are different from those found in cannabis. Therefore, beer does not have psychoactive effects like cannabis does.

4. Are there any health benefits to consuming hops and cannabis?

Both hops and cannabis have been studied for their potential health benefits. Hops contain antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds, while cannabis has been shown to have potential therapeutic effects for conditions such as chronic pain and epilepsy. However, more research is needed to fully understand and confirm these potential benefits.

5. Is it safe to consume both hops and cannabis at the same time?

It is generally safe to consume both hops and cannabis at the same time. However, it is important to be aware of the potential interactions between hops and cannabis, especially if you have any pre-existing medical conditions or are taking medication. It is always recommended to consult with a healthcare professional before combining any substances.

Back