1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Something like Ceramic

1. Mar 7, 2004 #1
    I need ceramic for a very large electrical project. The problem I have is weight. I would like to find a material with all the properties of ceramic (electrical isolation, temperature insulation, armourment, ability to design for any shape), but it needs to be a lot lighter.

I thought there might be some types of plactics or fiberglas that I could use, but I've no idea.

Price won't be a problem. The material is needed. Anyone with ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2004 #2
    Carbon Fiber

JMD

4. Mar 22, 2004 #3
    Last time I checked, CF was an electrical conductor not an insulator.

CF's got some great properties - some that exceed ceramic. But, insulation is my primary need. :)

5. Mar 25, 2004 #4

Cliff_J

Science Advisor

Aerogel if it can take the heat.

How about a glass microsphere filled ceramic? It might lose a little compressive strength along with its weight loss but should otherwise retain electrical and thermal properties.

What temperature range are we talking about? I believe some of the Ren plastics can handle injection molding stress and temps. They list a casting resin here that goes to 408F for a 264psi deflection test:
    http://www.freemansupply.com/tables/renepoxycasting.htm
    And here's a laminating resin that's listed as 460F:
    http://www.freemansupply.com/tables/renepoxylam.htm

Cliff

6. Mar 25, 2004 #5

Njorl

Science Advisor

I remember testing the optical properties of some plastics that were supposed to have good thermal and mechanical properties. They were:

Lexan - reinforced with glass fibers
    Ultem - as above
    Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene
    Polyetheretherketone
    Duron

Some of them had deformation issues. They would deform long before melting.

Njorl

7. Apr 1, 2004 #6

LURCH

Science Advisor

Then perhaps a thermoset, rather than a thermoplastic polymer would be in order. Something like Bakelite?

8. Apr 5, 2004 #7

Njorl

Science Advisor

Bakelite is very useful, but very toxic when you machine it. Be careful. I used it for a device once. I was lucky, I just drew up what I wanted and told some pros to make it.

Njorl

9. Apr 25, 2004 #8
    Where can I find chemicals for Bakelite? From what I've searched, it seems to be somewhat like fiberglas? I haven't found any detailed information about it - links anyone?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?