Lightweight Ceramic Solutions for Large Electrical Projects

In summary, Cliff suggests testing some of the more thermal and mechanical resistant plastics, while Njorl suggests using a thermoset.
Arctic Fox
I need ceramic for a very large electrical project. The problem I have is weight. I would like to find a material with all the properties of ceramic (electrical isolation, temperature insulation, armourment, ability to design for any shape), but it needs to be a lot lighter.

I thought there might be some types of plactics or fiberglas that I could use, but I've no idea.

Price won't be a problem. The material is needed. Anyone with ideas?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Carbon Fiber

JMD

Last time I checked, CF was an electrical conductor not an insulator.

CF's got some great properties - some that exceed ceramic. But, insulation is my primary need. :)

Aerogel if it can take the heat.

How about a glass microsphere filled ceramic? It might lose a little compressive strength along with its weight loss but should otherwise retain electrical and thermal properties.

What temperature range are we talking about? I believe some of the Ren plastics can handle injection molding stress and temps. They list a casting resin here that goes to 408F for a 264psi deflection test:
http://www.freemansupply.com/tables/renepoxycasting.htm
And here's a laminating resin that's listed as 460F:
http://www.freemansupply.com/tables/renepoxylam.htm

Cliff

I remember testing the optical properties of some plastics that were supposed to have good thermal and mechanical properties. They were:

Lexan - reinforced with glass fibers
Ultem - as above
Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene
Polyetheretherketone
Duron

Some of them had deformation issues. They would deform long before melting.

Njorl

Njorl said:
I remember testing the optical properties of some plastics that were supposed to have good thermal and mechanical properties. They were:

Lexan - reinforced with glass fibers
Ultem - as above
Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene
Polyetheretherketone
Duron

Some of them had deformation issues. They would deform long before melting.

Njorl

Then perhaps a thermoset, rather than a thermoplastic polymer would be in order. Something like Bakelite?

Bakelite is very useful, but very toxic when you machine it. Be careful. I used it for a device once. I was lucky, I just drew up what I wanted and told some pros to make it.

Njorl

Where can I find chemicals for Bakelite? From what I've searched, it seems to be somewhat like fiberglas? I haven't found any detailed information about it - links anyone?

1. What are lightweight ceramic solutions?

Lightweight ceramic solutions are materials that are made from ceramic compounds, but have been engineered to be much lighter in weight than traditional ceramics. This is achieved through various methods such as using hollow structures or incorporating lightweight additives.

2. How can lightweight ceramic solutions be used in large electrical projects?

Lightweight ceramic solutions can be used in large electrical projects as an alternative to traditional ceramic materials. They can be used to make insulating materials, electrical components, and other parts that require high strength and thermal resistance.

3. What are the benefits of using lightweight ceramic solutions in large electrical projects?

Some of the benefits of using lightweight ceramic solutions in large electrical projects include their high strength, low weight, and excellent thermal and electrical properties. They are also resistant to corrosion, wear, and high temperatures, making them ideal for use in demanding electrical applications.

4. Are there any limitations to using lightweight ceramic solutions in large electrical projects?

While lightweight ceramic solutions have many advantages, there are some limitations to consider. They can be more expensive than traditional ceramics, and their fabrication process may require specialized equipment and techniques. Additionally, they may not be suitable for certain extreme environments or applications.

5. How can I determine if lightweight ceramic solutions are the right choice for my electrical project?

To determine if lightweight ceramic solutions are the right choice for your electrical project, it is important to consider the specific requirements and demands of your project. Consulting with a materials expert and conducting thorough testing and analysis can help you make an informed decision.