Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Something special about 2/3?

1. Oct 27, 2016 #1
    So I noticed something about problems. I see the number 2/3 or 3/2 a lot. For example, the height masses lose contact with sphere. Ladder losing contact with wall etc. Or 3/2 for the height above a rolling cue ball to strike for it to stop etc. And I notice the number 2/5 and 5/2 a lot as well. For example, the minimum height to make around the loop de loop.

Is there something more fundamental going on here?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2016 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

I think this is a result of teachers designing problems with simple exact solutions. This is not unlike the use of 30-60-90 or 45-45-90 triangles in trig or Pythagorean triplets i.e. 3-4-5 right triangles when teaching the Pythagorean theorem.

4. Oct 27, 2016 #3

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

5. Oct 28, 2016 #4

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have noticed lots of 1/2 popping up recently. There must be a nest somewhere.

6. Oct 28, 2016 #5

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

The worst are factors of powers of ##2 \pi##. They tend to be missing or appear to often in formulae. In this case you can trace it to Fourier as the culprit. LOL.

7. Oct 28, 2016 #6

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Use τ.

8. Oct 28, 2016 #7

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

##\tau##?

9. Oct 28, 2016 #8

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted