Reflecting on Romance: Weird Scenarios to Consider

• Thread starter homology
  • Start date
In summary: I don't think it would be that bad. I mean, I would miss the sight of attractive people, but I could adapt to that. Plus, I could always read or look at pictures. Kevinthere are ways to deal with a lack of sight. I don't think that blindness would be so bad. It would force me to rely on touch more than I do now and I am pretty tactile. Plus, I would learn to read lips and other body language. What is death?death is the end of life.
homology
I have seen many posts on this physics site about 'love' or 'girls and guys' etc. So I thought I would post a little something that can be good for reflecting on one's goals in the romantic arena.

So here are the ponderables, reflect and respond if you wish to as many or as few as you like.

1) You are suddenly struck blind, how does this effect what/who you were looking for in romance?

2) Combine blindness with some other malady like deafness or muteness and reflect as in (1).

3) You are crippled below the stomach (perhaps a freak physics experiment :frown: ) and your genetalia are now entirely worthless, i.e. no more orgasms for you. how does this effect what/who you were looking for in romance?

4) You experience an accident which leaves you horribly disfigured. how does this effect what/who you were looking for in romance?

5) Any other weird scenario you can think of that might alter one's 'guidelines for dating'

Have fun,

Kevin

Physics news on Phys.org
The best part of this above post has got to be the "Have fun" part.

I didn't really enjoy picturing myself minus half a face and destroyed lower body, running (actually dragging my torso) into trees in search of the "perfect woman."

PS : I have no intention of appearing insensitive to the tragedies suffered by other people. Hope no one misunderstands me...

Last edited:
How exactly is this helpful again?

cookiemonster

well maybe its not helpful. I didnt' say that it was helpful. However, being something of a cynic, I think that most folks fall into lust more than love, experience lust at first sight more than love at first sight and etc. What we use to qualify an "attractive" or "desirable" partner is important to reflect on. For instance, the qualifications: giant bazooms and plantinum blonde hair, restrict the set of admissable candidates. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but its something to be aware of. I found that reflecting on the above, somewhat macabre, scenarios forced me to realize which of my qualifications were really just superficial. Such reflection led to my wife a woman I might have passed over without such reflection.

But you might not find such reflections useful at all. I just thought I'd post what helped me.

Kevin

Last edited:
there's no such thing as love at first sight... there's lust at first sight (often!) and that can lead to love...
my girlfriend got pretty sad for a second when i mentioned that i thought she would be "just another girl" when i first met her... i wasn't looking for love at the time, and i basically approached her for being so damn cute... of course i remembered to tell her that i proved to be completely wrong... i actually made her agree, that if i had been looking for love and not a nice piece of ass (pardon me), we probably wouldn't have hooked up... cause somehow you simply cannot get as much as a single date if you're looking for a serious relationship :biggrin:
tell me if I'm wrong...

A horrible disfigurement would be having no penis... no offence ladies. :biggrin:

I really don't see how any of that's helpful. None of those things would change what's important in a relationship.

Are you suggesting that if a person has lower self esteem that they would be less picky about finding a romantic interest? Probably.

I think I get what you are trying to say. That if you yourself weren't such a catch that you might be more accepting of another who is less than perfect?

homology said:
1) You are suddenly struck blind, how does this effect what/who you were looking for in romance?

I'll no longer be "looking" for anything. The face will no longer matter, but as long as I have a sense of touch, I'm still not dating any fat chicks

edit - loseyourname, my apologies, I meant to reply to your post but hit the wrong button and accidently deleted part of your post. Please forgive me. Evo

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not really pushing a message since some of you have already posted that in the circumstances I have portrayed, your criterea wouldn't change. I just posted it for your own reflection. If you get nothing out of it then I meant no message. If you get something out it then I meant that.

Its just good to know what you'll take and what you won't and why.

That's all,

Kevin

But can you really imagine how you'll react in drastic circumstances? It's easy to say, "No, I won't change!" but can you really rely on that? One of the differences of being old is that you have been through some drastic changes and have empirical evidence on the subject. See also the "What is death" thread.

well you certainly could imagine, it may not be accurate, but then the posted scenarios are meant only to provide stimulus for reflection.

Kevin

1. What is the purpose of "Reflecting on Romance: Weird Scenarios to Consider"?

The purpose of "Reflecting on Romance: Weird Scenarios to Consider" is to encourage critical thinking and reflection on the complexities of romantic relationships. The scenarios presented in this piece may seem bizarre or unusual, but they can serve as a starting point for deeper discussions about the nature of love, attraction, and relationships.

2. How can reflecting on weird scenarios help in understanding romance?

Reflecting on weird scenarios can help in understanding romance by challenging our preconceived notions and assumptions about what constitutes a "normal" or "healthy" relationship. By considering unconventional scenarios, we can expand our perspectives and gain a deeper understanding of the complexities of romantic relationships.

3. Are these scenarios based on real-life situations?

Some of the scenarios presented in "Reflecting on Romance: Weird Scenarios to Consider" may be based on real-life situations, while others may be purely hypothetical. The purpose of these scenarios is not to focus on the specific details of the situation, but rather to use them as a tool for critical thinking and reflection.

4. Can these scenarios be used in a research or educational setting?

Yes, these scenarios can be used in a research or educational setting to facilitate discussions and critical thinking about romantic relationships. They can also be used as writing prompts or discussion topics in classes related to psychology, sociology, or gender studies.

5. Is this piece only relevant to heterosexual relationships?

No, this piece is not limited to heterosexual relationships. The scenarios presented can apply to any romantic relationship, regardless of gender or sexual orientation. The focus is on the dynamics and complexities of romantic relationships, rather than specific genders or sexual orientations.