1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Somewhat wierd question for Elec Eng.Nickel plating and electrochemical equivalents

1. Mar 27, 2012 #1
    1.A plate is to be nickel-plated to a thickness of 0.15mm in three and a half hours. The electrochemical equivalent of nickel is 0.305mg/C and the density of nickel is 8778kg/m^3 .Calculate the surface area of the plate that can be plated to the specified thickness with current of 12.4Amps.

Ok soo " m=zIt " would only get me soo far and I really dont have a clue even in which UNITS this must first go to.My Book is extremely vague on the matter and dont know what you would call this on google :(

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2012 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Re: Somewhat wierd question for Elec Eng.Nickel plating and electrochemical equivalen

Hi Totter, Welcome to Physics Forums.

Go step by step and see if you can work out what's required and whether or not the information is provided.

First write a formula that relates the required mass of nickel given plate area and thickness of the coating.

Next look at the given " electrochemical equivalent of nickel is 0.305mg/C". What do you suppose the units are telling you?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook