• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Somewhat wierd question for Elec Eng.Nickel plating and electrochemical equivalents

• Thread starter Totter
  • Start date
1.A plate is to be nickel-plated to a thickness of 0.15mm in three and a half hours. The electrochemical equivalent of nickel is 0.305mg/C and the density of nickel is 8778kg/m^3 .Calculate the surface area of the plate that can be plated to the specified thickness with current of 12.4Amps.

Ok soo " m=zIt " would only get me soo far and I really dont have a clue even in which UNITS this must first go to.My Book is extremely vague on the matter and dont know what you would call this on google :(

gneill

Mentor
Re: Somewhat wierd question for Elec Eng.Nickel plating and electrochemical equivalen

1.A plate is to be nickel-plated to a thickness of 0.15mm in three and a half hours. The electrochemical equivalent of nickel is 0.305mg/C and the density of nickel is 8778kg/m^3 .Calculate the surface area of the plate that can be plated to the specified thickness with current of 12.4Amps.

Ok soo " m=zIt " would only get me soo far and I really dont have a clue even in which UNITS this must first go to.My Book is extremely vague on the matter and dont know what you would call this on google :(
Hi Totter, Welcome to Physics Forums.

Go step by step and see if you can work out what's required and whether or not the information is provided.

First write a formula that relates the required mass of nickel given plate area and thickness of the coating.

Next look at the given " electrochemical equivalent of nickel is 0.305mg/C". What do you suppose the units are telling you?