Who sings Somewhere Over The Rainbow on YouTube?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rainbow
In summary, the conversation discusses a song that the speaker heard and liked on UTube, but had no idea who performed it. They later find out it was Israel Kamakawiwo'ole and it was from the album Facing Future. The conversation then shifts to discussing other songs that have been redone in different genres, such as MacArthur Park, Always on My Mind, I Shot the Sheriff, Baby I Love Your Way, Heard it Through the Grapevine, All Along the Watchtower, Walk This Way, and Redemption Song. The conversation also mentions extreme examples of songs being redone, such as Sergey Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto #2 becoming a ballad hit and Beethoven's Symphony #5 becoming a dance hit
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I had heard this and really liked it but had no idea who did it. Good ole UTube.

I know that MIH has heard it before. :biggrin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A2Jt4WOxN8&mode=related&search=

Anyway, for some reason I couldn't get it out of my head once I heard it. It's not really the kind of thing I normally like, but it sure stuck; esp the first half.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just don't hit your head befor you fall asleep. Dang it Ivan! I now need a beach!

Ivan Seeking said:
I had heard this and really liked it but had no idea who did it. Good ole UTube.

Anyway, for some reason I couldn't get it out of my head once I heard it. It's not really the kind of thing I normally like, but it sure stuck; esp the first half.

If you still want to know who did it, it's Israel Kamakawiwo'ole. He's a BIG fella, but with one of the softest voice. The album that this tune is from is called Facing Future.

Zz.

Ivan Seeking said:
Good ole UTube.
Careful, that's the site that's sueing YouTube because millions of people can't spell out Y-O-U. :wink:

I'm scared to click the link though. I don't need a song stuck in my head all day. :rolleyes:

Gokul43201 said:
You're not thinking of the original Satchmo' number are you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIDBW1CGTKM&mode=related&search=
That's always been one of my favorite songs.

Kamakawiwo'ole's arrangement is pretty good, too. (Isn't his name a song? Not a song title, but an entire song? I had to cheat and copy and paste because I'd never remember the entire thing)

Ivan Seeking said:

yeah, I love that. Isn't it wonderful? :smile: Hey, did you ever see that episode of Scrubs where they did the show around a Wizard of Oz theme? It was so cool! They did it very subtly - a fantastic job!:approve:
(the end of it)

Last edited by a moderator:
Math Is Hard said:
yeah, I love that. Isn't it wonderful? :smile: Hey, did you ever see that episode of Scrubs where they did the show around a Wizard of Oz theme? It was so cool! They did it very subtly - a fantastic job!:approve:
(the end of it)

hey, I remember that episode.

Scrubs is awesome.:approve:

So 7 hours later, I realize that this song has been stuck in my head the entire time. NOOOOOOOO!

Math Is Hard said:
(the end of it)

I hadn't seen Scrubs, but, not a bad job. I have noticed that they are also using the intro - ooooooooing only - it in a commercial for a breakfast cereal, I think it was... And the number of copycats out there is amazing.

Can anyone name another song that was redone as a completely different genre of music, that was then a hit a second time? What seems somewhat unique to me is that this isn't just an upgrade from 60s rock to 90s rock, this is a change from what... showtune to Hawaiian? That's quite a leap for a second go around.

Ivan Seeking said:
Can anyone name another song that was redone as a completely different genre of music, that was then a hit a second time? What seems somewhat unique to me is that this isn't just an upgrade from 60s rock to 90s rock, this is a change from what... showtune to Hawaiian? That's quite a leap for a second go around.

I can name 2 off the top of my head:

1. MacArthur Park was discofied by Donna Summer

2. Always on My Mind by the Pet Shop Boys.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
If you still want to know who did it, it's Israel Kamakawiwo'ole. He's a BIG fella, but with one of the softest voice. The album that this tune is from is called Facing Future.

Zz.

YESSSSS I've known that version for a few years now & always wondered who did it! thanks soo much! :approve:

Ivan Seeking said:
Can anyone name another song that was redone as a completely different genre of music, that was then a hit a second time?
Many...(if you ignore the distinction between a remake and a cover)...here's a few that come to mind:

I Shot the Sheriff - reggae (marley) to rock(clapton)
Baby I Love your Way - rock (frampton) to reggae (big mountain)
Heard it Through the Grapevine - soul (marvin gaye) to rock (CCR)
All Along the Watchtower - talking, with harmonica (dylan) to screaming, with electric guitar (hendrix)
Walk This Way - rock (aerosmith) to hip-hop (run DMC)
Redemption Song - reggae (marley) to rock (U2), alternative rock (dave matthews band), soul (stevie wonder, lauryn hill), hip-hop (arrested development), folk (indigo girls)

Last edited:
Oooh.. I can come up with a couple even more extreme.

How about Sergey Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto #2 becoming a big ballad hit called "All By Myself" by Eric Carmen?

Along the same line, Beethoven's Symphony #5 becoming "A Fifth of Beethoven", a #1 dance hit for Walter Murphy Band (it appeared on the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack).

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Oooh.. I can come up with a couple even more extreme.

How about Sergey Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto #2 becoming a big ballad hit called "All By Myself" by Eric Carmen?

...which was more recently ruined by Celine Dion.:yuck:

There's the Dolly Parton and Whitney Houston versions of "I will always love you". Cher's "Do I ever cross your mind" was redone by Ray Charles and Bonnie Raitt as a lovely slide guitar-enhanced duet. Tori Amos did her own slow and sultry version of "Smells Like Teen Spirit".

what about michael bolton's version of recondita armonia from puccini's tosca... :yuck:
... i guess it isn't really a cover song but i don't think he's ever done an album of 'opera hits'; i think it was on one of his pop albums.

Last edited:

1. What inspired the song "Somewhere Over The Rainbow"?

The song was written by Harold Arlen and E.Y. Harburg for the 1939 film "The Wizard of Oz". It was inspired by the main character Dorothy's longing to escape her dull and monotonous life in Kansas and find a place where her dreams could come true.

2. Was "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" originally sung by Judy Garland?

Yes, Judy Garland, who played Dorothy in the film, was the first to sing "Somewhere Over The Rainbow". The song has since been covered by numerous artists and has become a beloved classic.

3. What is the meaning behind the lyrics of "Somewhere Over The Rainbow"?

The song is a message of hope and encouragement, encouraging listeners to never give up on their dreams and to keep searching for a brighter future. The rainbow represents the promise of a better tomorrow and the belief that anything is possible.

4. Is there a specific significance to the choice of a rainbow in the song?

The rainbow is often seen as a symbol of hope and promise, and it is used in the song to represent a better and more colorful future. It also ties in with the theme of the film, where the characters are on a journey to find their own versions of happiness and fulfillment.

5. Has "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" won any awards?

Yes, the song has won multiple awards, including an Academy Award for Best Original Song in 1939. It has also been included in various "best of" lists and has been recognized as one of the greatest movie songs of all time.