1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

SONAR and reflection head on!

1. Nov 29, 2006 #1
    Two submarines are underwater and approaching each other head-on. Sub A has a speed of 12 m/s and sub B has a speed of 17 m/s. Sub A sends out a 1520 Hz sonar wave that travels at a speed of 1522 m/s.

... I already solved for this question ...

... What is the frequency of the sound detected by sub B (to the nearest Hz)? ...

... I used the Doppler equation and I got 1549 Hz as an answer, which is correct.

... My next question is ...

... Part of the sonar wave is reflected from B and returns to A. What frequency does A detect for this reflected wave (to the nearest Hz)?

... do I use the Doppler equation again ... or is there a reflection equation or concept that I missed out on?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2006 #2

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, you use it again, but perhaps not exactly the same way. Whatever the frequency of the reflected sound sub A is moving when it receives it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?