Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Sondhauss tube not working

1. Aug 22, 2016 #1
    I've been trying to make a Sondhauss tube lately. My setup is a 17-cm long Pyrex test tube with a small piece of steel wool as the stack. I've been holding the closed end over a gas stove on full heat with a pipe wrench, but absolutely no sound is produced. What I am doing seems to be no different from other demonstrations online, so why is this so?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2016 #2

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That question takes me back. I remember trying this nearly twenty years ago, using a steel tube (probably 30mm bore) with a wire gauze plug inside it. It was never very successful but it sometimes produced a short lived groaning noise, I seem to remember. I used gauze and not steel wool ( I thought that was supposed to be important) and the tube was about a half metre long - or more. I did find that the actual position of the plug in the tube was very relevant to performance (what there was of it).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted