Why is my Sondhauss tube not producing any sound?

• Thread starter cyberdiver
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sound Tube
In summary, the speaker has been attempting to create a Sondhauss tube using a 17-cm Pyrex test tube and steel wool as the stack, but has not been successful in producing any sound. They have tried the same method as demonstrated online, but are questioning why it is not working. The speaker recalls trying this experiment twenty years ago with a steel tube and wire gauze plug, but also had limited success. They note that the position of the plug in the tube seemed to affect the performance.
cyberdiver
I've been trying to make a Sondhauss tube lately. My setup is a 17-cm long Pyrex test tube with a small piece of steel wool as the stack. I've been holding the closed end over a gas stove on full heat with a pipe wrench, but absolutely no sound is produced. What I am doing seems to be no different from other demonstrations online, so why is this so?

Physics news on Phys.org
That question takes me back. I remember trying this nearly twenty years ago, using a steel tube (probably 30mm bore) with a wire gauze plug inside it. It was never very successful but it sometimes produced a short lived groaning noise, I seem to remember. I used gauze and not steel wool ( I thought that was supposed to be important) and the tube was about a half metre long - or more. I did find that the actual position of the plug in the tube was very relevant to performance (what there was of it).

What is a Sondhauss tube and how does it work?

A Sondhauss tube is a scientific instrument used to demonstrate the relationship between sound waves and standing waves. It consists of a glass tube with a small opening on one end and a speaker on the other. When sound waves are produced by the speaker, they bounce off the closed end of the tube and create standing waves that can be observed.

Why is my Sondhauss tube not producing any sound?

There could be several reasons for this. First, make sure the speaker is connected properly and is functioning correctly. Also, check that the tube is not clogged or blocked in any way. If everything seems to be in working order, try adjusting the frequency or amplitude of the sound waves being produced by the speaker.

How do I calculate the speed of sound using a Sondhauss tube?

The speed of sound can be calculated using the Sondhauss tube by measuring the distance between the nodes (points of no vibration) of the standing wave and the frequency of the sound wave. The speed of sound is equal to the frequency multiplied by the distance between the nodes.

What are common sources of error when using a Sondhauss tube?

One common source of error is not having a consistent sound source, such as using a speaker that is not producing a steady and consistent frequency. Another source of error could be not having a proper seal at the closed end of the tube, which can affect the formation of standing waves. Additionally, any outside noise or disturbances can also impact the results.

Can a Sondhauss tube be used to study other types of waves?

Yes, a Sondhauss tube can be used to study other types of waves, such as water waves. In this case, the tube would be filled with water and a mechanical wave generator would be used to create the waves. The principles of standing waves can still be observed and studied in this scenario.